Over time what happens?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by omegapd, Feb 22, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Hey All,

I have stocked up on some soap from an Ebay seller that I really like. It has a mixture of olive oil, shea and aloe along with coconut oil and other stuff. Obviously, I'm going to keep it "fresh" as long as possible - wrapped in the original packaging and then stored in zip-locks, but will the oils and other good stuff evaporate over time? I realize scent will disappear but what about the actual ingredients of the soap (it's a cold process soap too if that matters)?

The oil in this soap- used as a pre-lather/face wash- makes razor drag non-existent and the way Ebay is, I figured I better stock up before someone eats a bar and Ebay bans soap sales or some such nonsense...

Thanks for any help,

EW

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Over time what happens is you get old, fat, hair starts growing where it shouldn't and you keep getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

Or so I've heard. :D

I've seen posts where guys found soaps from the 40's that still shaved fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your methods seem good to me.

3. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Yup. Shep is correct on the second count there.

Other than losing some of the scent, the soap should keep its shaving properties.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yeah - I have a few vintage soaps and they still perform well. Okay, the scent tends to evaporate, but there's not much you can do about it.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I have had a couple vintage soaps......the one that was 40 years old(estimated) had lost it scent but performed well. Would you care to share the link to these fine soaps:)

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Share the Link!!!!

If you wanna

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You mean it gets WORSE??:D

Fuzzy

8. omegapd

omegapd New Member

It was recently reviewed right here. As I mentioned in the comments, it is not what I would call a shave soap, even though the seller does say that. But for a face wash/pre-shave it's awesome...

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11247

I can't remember what name they sell on ebay with, though. Monkan treasures or something like that. I asked them if they would make a goat's milk cold processed soap in their shaving soap size and they seemed very happy to do it. I'm waiting for them to email me back when it's ready.

9. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have a shaving soap made in 1936 and it still works wonders.. But yes - the scent is almost gone..