Paradigm Titanium DE Razor.... $395?! For real???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Yes, but the costs are noticeably higher and really not practicable for small machining of intricate components. It excels in marine and aero applications where hydroforming and excellent welding abilities make it much more feasible and practical. Remember, it's not so much that it's closest to 300 s/s alloys where it's machinability is much easier to deal with, but the actual composition of the Titanium alloy makes it harder to cut because of the higher speeds required to turn and cut this specific alloy.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You'd almost certainly know better than I. Most of my titanium experience has been limited to the chunk of titanium that my father used as a paperweight, left over from an enormous ball valve project he was involved with. To give you an idea of how big the valve was, the leftover is the size of a brick. My knowledge is mostly limited to reading.

3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

That's a nice chunk of Ti. If you can imagine that brick sized Ti, that's about what would be needed to make 1, maybe 2 (if you keep your slag chips and curf cut down and cutting from multiple angles ) of these Paradign Ti razors. If you can find that brick, you might be able to trade it in for the Paradigm.....:happy088:

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Whatever alloy they used was insanely hard. Nothing I did to it in high school was enough to even dent it. I will admit, I didn't try a 10 lb sledge, but just about everything else. I think the most useful thing to do with it is.. keep it as a paperweight. Possibly loan it to Ignatz to throw at a kat.

Str8on2 likes this.
  5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

While I certainly agree that it's a person's choice to buy or not buy a razor at that price, I think those razors are made for different folks than in the den. We're involved in and interested in real tools that still gives the finest shaves. I think that razor is for guys who want to be cool thinking they're using and old school idea. They're the same guys who buy insanely high priced "trucks" whose beds have never seen the light of day. So basically, were using the real deal, they're just using a copy of the real deal. Price? Doesn't matter, they're not really "shaving" with it anyways.

Str8on2, IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

oh yeah.!!!

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup. The shaving elitist.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

A thing is only worth what your willing to pay for it.
    While I'm not rich enough to afford a $400 safety razor, nor do I feel it would out perform or out last my "Stahly shave head" or Gillette "NEW" OC. To each his own.:) I also like getting value for my dollar and I don't see the value here, but maybe in the future?

Str8on2 and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

To each his own.
    A $400 safety razor may be ridiculous to many, but so would owning dozens of soaps, brushes, and razors to those who aren't into the whole wet shaving hobby. ;)
    A $395 price tag would often be considered to be an entry price point on a many a modern straight razor, by the way.

10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

"If we all made practical choices we would donate all our excess funds to charity!"

Seems your definition of "practical" differs a lot from mine.