Parker 91R Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bronco, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

This is a discussion of my review for the Parker 91R located here.
    Keep in mind that razors are different for different people, sorta YMMV. These are my experiences.
    I own a Merkur 38C and have always enjoyed using it. When I saw the Parker 91R, I had to give it a try. I chose the 91R because of the grip not realizing that the handle was as long as it is. Here it is next to My 38C which is on the right.
    [vbpg]1350[/vbpg]
    The Parker is a super balanced razor, a little lighter than the Merkur
    Parker 91R - 3 oz and the Merkur 38C - 4 oz
    I've always thought the handle on the Merkur was a bit heavy. The Parker being a little lighter with a longer handle is very easy to control. Below is a comparison of the different head construction.
    Parker
    [vbpg]1349[/vbpg]
    Merkur
    [vbpg]1351[/vbpg]
    I was a little concerned about the blade gap when I first saw it but they must have figured out the angle because it is a smooth shaver.
    I've gotten by with only two passes the last three days, there was just no need to go further.
    Pros
    The quality of the plating is equal to the Merkur and in some cases better.
    The long handle and knurling make it easy to grip.
    Great blade exposure and it doesn't rest on the bar. I was suprised at the smoothness of the shave.
    The balance is incredable, the weight of the head and handle go together well making the razor easy to control.
    Cons
    The alignment pins could be a little longer and I think this would eliminate some of the play. Once it's together, it's fine but longer pins would be helpful.
    It's a little testy changing the blade and if the head were a little wider it might be easier.
    If you're looking for a longer handled razor that gives a great shave, this one may be your answer. A reasonably priced decent quality razor.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Most definitely I agree the Parker 91R is easier to control, and handle. I find the balance just perfect, as well as the weight.As in the case of all 3 piece razors, a little extra care must be taken when you change the blades, but, otherwise, this razor stands out for top quality.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Your review sounds quite similar to mine or the 89r. The handle on the 89r isn't that long, but I sure like the looks of the grip on the 91r.

It really seems like parker figured these 3 piece razors out. Now if they'll just revamp their tto razors we'll be set.

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I've never been thrilled with BIC blades but threw one in the 91R this morning. Fantastic shave! :D

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

guess what, Steve--I used a Derby Extra this morning in my 91R, and got super-BBS!! WOO-HOOOOO!!! :D