Parker SR1 "Shavette" type... Useless?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NoahG, Apr 17, 2011.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

My last shave with the Parker SR1 was a bit rough

I'm not sure if I got too confident and was going too fast or if the blade had dulled enough to cause problems. I ended up with several knicks and 2 cuts.

I am going to have to back off of this for a while and let my face heal!

I will be back though, because I still remember the 2nd shave with this razor, and it was excellent! I didn't even need to shave the next day.

So a question for those of you still folowing this thread. How many shaves can you expect to get out of a blade used in these shavettes? Would it be the same as you get in a DE or less?

2. newb

newb Resident Newb

I usually only use a blade in a shavette once or twice.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have this Parker. I have shaved with it once using a Voskhod and had a decent shave with it. I may use it again tomorrow. I do think that perhaps learning to shave myself with an actual straight razor is the main reason why I got a decent shave from the shavette on my first try...based on some accounts of bad shavette shaves that I have seen.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine on another forum is in the learning stages of using a Kai razor. Similar to the Feather RG's. Those continue to peak my interest, unfortunately the price is to steep right now for my budget.

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

My Shavette is earmarked for the grab bag.

6. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

The number of shaves per half blade is logically half of what you would get from the full DE blade, as you are only using one edge at a time. I get 3-4 good shaves from most DE blades, so I use a 1/2 blade for two shaves, and toss it. :cool::cool:

7. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

I don't have very thick facial hair so I usually get anywhere from 4-6 shaves with my shavette so yeah YMMV definitely