Personna Platniums - What say you?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stu929, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So I've only been wet shaving a few months and have worked my way though a handful of blades but I have definitely developed a fondness for 7 O'clock yellows and greens. Lab blue are decent and cheap but I prefer the Yellows or Greens and seem to get more shaves from them. I typically use an Aristocrat or SS but I am using my Tuckaway more and enjoy how close it can shave but I have to be better with my technique when I use it.

I saw a listing for Personna Platniums for 50% off making them 11/100 and was curious what people thought of them? I know its always YMMV but I haven't seen a lot about this blade in the past not sure if its not as accessible or maybe just on the expensive side so people don't use it as much.

[​IMG]

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

YMMV, and my most used blade.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like a good deal. I just ordered 100 GSBs though, so I will wait. I am still working my way through my Personna Blues.

4. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I've never used them. Once I tried the yellows I pretty much knew it was my blade, I love em' and have enough to last me the next 2yrs. I do have some Personna blues and find those mediocre at best.

Stu929 likes this.
  5. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Like, good blades

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Most people are fans, however I get a bit rougher shave than with my Astra SP. Personally, I don't know that I'd buy 100 of anything I hadn't shaved with at least once.

7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Merely beacuse Ive been giving a bunch of blade to friends as I lend out razors converting those who are not enlightened

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BaylorGator and GarnerPW like this.
  8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Yesterday a friend called me to tell me I could have back my loaner as he had purchased a replacement. I wish he hadnt but the viking blade seems to get decent reviews on amazon but he was disappointed in build quality vs a 50 year old gillette :)

I told him he could keep the SS but he insisted that it wasn't right to take it. He told me at first he was on the fence but after shaving 7 days in a row with the SS/7 oclock yellow combo then trying his harrys stuff he had been using for years he said "I'm never going back". He admitted harrys worked but the shave wasnt as close or as comfortable and he was done with them. Now maybe I lucked out in giving him 2 tucks of yellows but thats all I had at the time to give him. He also ordered 200 Yellows in addition to his viking. Had I had more Astras/Blue Labs/Greens I would have been more than willing to let him test those as well but I had run myself out of variety.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good blade IMO.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Supposed to be the same as Israeli Reds in red packaging for the US, but in blue packaging for the UK. Reds are very good blades for me.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup. Good blades.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I think I have 1 or 2 reds to try. I tried one early and it chewed me up a little but I remember them being very sharp. Ill give it a shot.

I set that and the vokshod aside to try later.

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I like them, but recommend trying just a tuck or two before getting them by the 100 count or more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I used to like them and still have a few tucks. Maybe I'll try the rest of them.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I used a bunch of them some years ago, but haven't in a few years. I remember them being smooth and nice, but when I was able to buy rapira swedish supersteel for about $7 per 100 shipped, I sort of moved on. I still have a few tucks in my blade stash and should revisit them at some point.

The only way to see what you think is to give them a try. I wouldnt buy 100 to test them, but they are worth a go.

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the PPC blades are really smooth, with a good sharpness ... but they might work completely different for you!

Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Remember though, that if something doesn't work right off the bat to revisit it later. Your technique will get better so don't just assume a blade or soap or anything for that matter isn't a good choice for you.

18. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The new package Israeli Red. These work a charm for me, B for sharpness, A for smoothness. They kind of fill the void between GSB>ASP for me...

Stu929 and Douglas Carey like this.