Phone/Text Spam out of control

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redfisher, May 14, 2018.

1. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I just got the, "Is Eugene there", call. I can almost recite the script.

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So is spam. Rofl.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I figure they know it's a live number when they don't get the not in service message you hear when a number is disconnected. If I can make them think it's a complete waste of their time to call me, maybe they'll give up. After 15 minutes of me asking what they are having for dinner, what's the weather like in Mumbai, whether or not they have a sister, do they ever get lonely and just want to talk to someone, they usually catch on and hang up on me.

Keithmax, Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I recall that the bulk of the calls I had gotten when I used to answer them were robo calls. That is, it was a machine call and message, with no person behind it unless I had chosen one of their options.

I don’t have the time or the patience to try and annoy the person behind the machine and I doubt that poor person hired to give the scam or sales pitch cares much whether I speak to them or not.

The telecom companies could identify these calls at the source and I’m sure certain governments already do. So why don’t they do something about it? Hmmm....

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Haaa, I do the same thing. They end up getting angry, after they figure it out. I went so far as to give them a bunch of random numbers, to the fake IRS agent, from India. He said it was not a good number, and I told him I was sorry, it must have been a cancelled card. I then did the same thing a few more times, before they said they were on their way to arrest me. :happy097: . I love messing with them.

6. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I had a few spams calls on the house phone, and when I get enough details about them and I told them you're speaking to the federal police and what is your choice....easy or hard...... They hang up straight away.

7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

What I'm going to do for now is turn off the ringer and not answer any calls. I'll check in periodically to see if anyone I know called and call them back.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm getting SILLY with these calls. What do I mean by that? If I don't recognize the number, and have no friends/family/associates in the city where it's coming from, sometimes I'll just pick it up and say just anything... "YADEPHEDODASLEVOMINGMINGMING"(or a reasonable facsimile thereof), and hang up.

Here's how you reply to the scammer you were just talkinabout(and I mentioned in here I do this myself at times): Just say anything...."YADEDOODEEEEDUMBBEBEBEBEBOOOOOOOMINGMINGMING". Then hang up.

Me too, but if it's a number with which I am not familiar-it's voice-mail time.

My aunt will say on occasion "Oh, you guys again?

Keithmax, Frijolero and Redfisher like this.
  9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    And sometimes they will spoof a number you know.

I got a call awhile ago. I happened to be sleeping at the time, rolled over stopped the ringing, and went back to sleep. When I got up and checked the number, it was familiar. So I Googled it. Just what I thought, my ex-inlaws number.

I was concerned and called. Yeah, that was a very uncomfortable conversation with my ex-MIL.

Their number isn't in my current contact list, but used to be years ago. And no, they're not pranksters.

10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I've had the scammers spoof /use my phone number to call people and had them "call me back". Not cool.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The first thing I do if I answer a call like this...

"well, hello!"

"What is your full name?"

"Bama Samurai runs a consulting business. The fee for his time is a reasonable $100 per hour. I'd be more than happy to set up an account for you so that you can talk to him. We'll just need your home address and I am all set. Will that be paid by debit card, bank transfer or PayPal?"

They hang up at this point.

Then, I have a script on my computer that will dial their number (if available) repeatedly until they block my number.

True story. I only hear from people once.

brit, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use an Android app called Calls Blacklist. I set it up so that it blocks calls and texts from all unrecognized numbers. I keep my contacts list up to date, so I rarely miss a useful call. It works like a champ.

Keithmax, Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Extreme Call Blocker. Same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I believe you have just won this thread.

15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I got a call on my cell from my own home phone number. I knew there wasn't supposed to be anyone at home, so I answered it and in no time I was involved in a conversation with Raj Koothrapali's brother Sanjay.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I loaded a couple call blocker apps. Programmed them with the area codes and even prefixes (no one I actually know lives there so no real calls would come from there). So far, it's worked fine. The only problem is the occasional new area code/prefix combo that bypasses the ringer and goes straight to voicemail. But I haven't seen any of those since getting my new phone a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Too complicated. I see no reason to let through any unknown caller since voicemail and messaging are things. I even blocked my mother until she accepted using caller ID.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

True story.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here's one I may do next time there's the famous "dead air" after my hello.

Me: Hello
    Spammer: Hello
    Me:Yeah, I'd like to order a small cheese pizza with extras of garlic, onion, and spinach. How much time will that be, please?

That's what I need...a call-blocker deal.

awwwriight! Fight fire with fire :).

Charlie, I'm interested in your opinion of my "madman" plan.