Phone/Text Spam out of control

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redfisher, May 14, 2018.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd like to know that, too @Sara-s . I've already had to delete/block off a particular "caller". Actually that's wrong, my sister did it for me, but I couldn't follow how she did it.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I used to use the calls to practice my Korean. Now I just tell them in Korean that I’m a foreigner and don’t speak Korean, they just hang up. Only ome time did the person get it and say to me ‘what do you mean, you are speaking Korean.’

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I see you have joined me in "just saying anything" to them(see my earlier posts where I describe doing just that. I pick up the receiver and say:

YADAZEEEDOOFOFOFIFI BLAZEAMINGMINGMING.

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The HIYA app seems to be doing a good job of blocking the calls, blocked 3 yesterday.

richgem likes this.
  7. Redfisher

I'm trying a new (to me ) way to block texts. So far so good. On my Samsung phone I go to Settings-Apps- Messages-Block Messages-Block Phrases. Then type in a few key words in the texts I've been getting. I've been getting 3-4 spam messages daily and after doing this yesterday I have so far received NONE!!!!! Take that you farging bastiges!

Bama Samurai and richgem like this.
  8. Redfisher

Just a quick bump here. So to date the "hiya " app has done a pretty good job identifying and blocking spam calls. They appear to have a decent sized database and it continues to grow as people report problems. I highly recommend it if you want some control over spam on your phone .

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

9. brit

brit in a box

hand the phone to your 3 year old and tell him/ her its santa claus... hello santa???

Redfisher and richgem like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've had good luck with "hiya" as well. Tho, I wish it would identify "suspected spam" faster... like before I pick up after it's been ringing a while. It also seems to have a problem identifying a spoofed number that starts with the same prefix as your own phone (which is the latest trick to make it seem like someone from your home area). But, otherwise, I'm quite pleased with hiya; it's probably the best I've used.

Redfisher likes this.
  11. Redfisher

I think I read somewhere that 50 percent of all calls are or will be spam

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use the Calls Blacklist app to block calls and texts from any phone number that's not listed in my contacts. It works great, but it's really shameful that we have to take steps like this to guard our privacy and sometimes even protect ourselves.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    AGHisBBS and Redfisher like this.