Pimples or Ingrown Hairs?

Discussion in 'General' started by vinthechin12, Jan 28, 2013.

1. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I do not suffer from the red monster, but I was thinking about how people prevent pimples when shaving. I do have a few (about ten on my face, yes I counted) and I wanted to know how to reduce them. I use a facial scrub and Clearasil. After I switched to DE shaving (a little over a week ago) I noticed a reduction, but some keep coming back. I am also not sure if bumps on my neck are razor bumps or pimples. They were there prior to making the switch and are there now. How can you distinguish between them? How long should razor bumps take to go away ? :transport015:
  2. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I have wondered myself what the difference is myself. Maybe razor bumps and ingrown hairs are like a pimple, but without the little white head in the middle.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh Staff Member

I'm guessing they may be razor bumps. Avoid going against the grain of the hairs on your neck and they should eventually disappear for the most part. I notice I only get them ATG, WTG and XTG they don't appear at all.
  4. vinthechin12

I am up for trying that. It sounds simple.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

For me, ingrown hairs usually look like pimples and I can only tell they are not when eventually a dark hair becomes visible under the skin. To my understanding, an ingrown hair causes a pimple because it typically causes an infection underneath the skin. So I look at them as the same thing. Some take 2-3 weeks to go away and they typically appear after I get razor burn. This is why I have become extremely careful to avoid razor burn. I hate having 1 bad pass and then paying for it with a big red spot of my face for two weeks.
  6. vinthechin12

If it has the little white head it is for sure a pimple. But some take a long time to get those white heads, so in the meantime you have no idea how to make it go away.
  7. vinthechin12

I only got razor burn when I used cart razors. 1 of them has a white head on it, do hopefully they will go away in 2 weeks or so.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If I give myself a weeper on my neck I'll usually get a red spot that takes a week or more to go away. Witch Hazel seems to make them go away a little faster.
  9. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I also think the Witch Hazel helps. I apply it after every shave and after I wash my face. So on a typical day, I shave in the morning around 8:30, apply WH. Then in the evening 8-9 I wash my face and apply WH. I've read in the "Guide To Gourmet Shaving" book that if you are prone to ingrown hairs it is better to avoid ATG as well as skin stretching. Both techniques do allow for a close shave, but the closer the shave, the greater the risk of your whiskers to grown out wrong (either sideways into the skin or out then curl back into the skin). As can be assumed from the later example, having curly hair increases your odds of getting ingrown hairs. :angry019: