Plastic DE razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I usually shave with injector or SE razors, but I've spent the last seven days trying out some more of the DEs that have piled up, a different razor each day with the same NOS Gillette Super Stainless blade. The last four days I used the razors in the picture below, which make up a subcategory, all plastic DE razors. Well, almost all plastic. The threaded center stud and collar which hold them together are metal.

[​IMG]

Inside the box is a Clix, to the right and above are two Neillites, and on top of the box to the left is an "I don't know for sure". I think it may be a Souplex Double Six, which is mentioned in Waits, but just don't have enough information to be sure.

Based on one shave with each, nobody should trust my evaluations, but actually I managed an irritation and nick free DFS with all of them. I had to go slowly, and take more passes than usual, but I got there. They are all very light, of course, but my usual just behind the head pinch grip is good for that. I was a bit worried about the Neillites, which have a reputation for being super aggressive, but they really weren't that bad.

And I probably won't use the Clix or the Whatchamacallit again. Having taken my obligatory one shave, I'm content to let them be display pieces. The Neillites may get another shot, but tomorrow it's back to an SE, an extra Ever-Ready 1914 which I realized I haven't used either. So many razors, and there are still a few around here that I haven't tried.:rolleyes:

2. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Wow..those are soo cool looking!...:D
    Wish I had those "retro" "modern" razors :happy102
    B

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very nice! I have a penchant for Bakelite and/or plastic razors. :happy088 :)

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very Cool. Thanks for sharing!

5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Very neat! I received a plastic Schick from my brother for my birthday. It was a bit strange to hold, but a good shaver nonetheless.

Nice collection!

6. very nice!!!

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I Like 'em! :happy088:happy088

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Awesome! I did that a couple weeks ago, and the shaves were really good. You have some nice looking razors there!

9. onotoman

onotoman Member

I've been collecting a lot of vintage English-made Bakelite razors recently and most are great shavers.

Also, the new Merkur Bakelite Razor is really good too and very well made - it comes in it's own case with 10 Merkur blades for just £18.50, so great value - it makes a great travel razor.

Best wishes

Dave