Polo Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Matt0210, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0433.JPG I came across this puck of Polo shave soap recently. My brother got it in a gift set a few years back and now that I'm into wet shaving I thought I would check it out and see if it was worth using. Even though it's been stored for a couple of years, the lather was pretty decent. I bloomed it first because the puck was real hard. Weird thing is because it's been stored for so long, the scent was completely gone. Kind of weird using a shave soap with no scent. It had pretty good slickness but once the soap was wiped it left the skin real dry. I might use it for my next shave to see how it performs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Never knew they made one...toss it :)

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

I've always wondered how long it would take for an average soap to lose its scent

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the scent strength in shaving soaps decreases over time. It most noticable for some of the overpowering, drenched-in-fragrance soaps, and is a good thing in such cases. The scent seems to decrease most dramatically over the first month, and then more gradually thereafter. The fragrance level in more moderately scented soaps decreases the most over the first 7-10 days, and then very gradually thereafter. Bear in mind that I use my soaps soon after receiving them, and keep using them until they are gone. On the few occasions that I have stored a soap for a few months in its original packaging, the scent strength only decreased a little. For all those soaps, I am not sure how long they were sitting on a shelf before being shipped to me. Soaps are likely intended to be used within months rather than stored for several years, so it is no surprise that the scent might fade over long time periods.

Edwin Jagger Loyalist likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I also never knew Polo made a shaving soap. Ralph Lauren made one called Safari that is highly sought after.

If you don't care for the soap I would recomend putting it on the BST thread, this way you could sell it or trade it for something else.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Stirling has Polo-like soaps, right?

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Apparently an unscented one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Matt0210 like this.
  9. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Haha good point. Whether it was made to be unscented is the question

10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I bought a puck of JHL a while back. The scent seemed gone until I got about ⅓ of the way through it and the scent got stronger as I continued use. YMMV.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Yes they do...Blue I think.

PickledNorthern and Paul Turner like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

There was Green also, which I don't know if was discontinued for good, or will be back seasonally. I have a bottle of the aftershave, and like it a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.