poof and it's gone

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hanspleasure, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

For the first time in a long time I was watching a razor on the bay and then it vanished... most likely someone contacted the seller and made an offer.
    Lame. So Lame. Attached is the avatar for the auction which was:Gillette No. 46 SET - ONE - PIECE - RAZOR !!
    This was the silver version of the British Popular TTO from the 30's.. I own a the gold plated version (also pictured) and was excitied at the prospect of the owning it's cousin... not any more.

Attached Files:

2. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I had that on watch too. I bet I know who bought it if they conned the seller to do a buy it now:mad:

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Unfortunately that seems common these days. I will usually congratulate the sellers who resist the buy it now ploys. If I ever sell on eBay again I will state that no buy it now offers will be accepted so don't even ask.

Sorry that you, and we, won't have a chance at the #46 Scott.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I don't understand. If you guys had it on your watch lists, the seller knows people are watching the auction. Why end it early with a BIN offer? :confused:

5. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

The seller probably got an offer he or she couldn't resist.. or possibly pulled the auction and made a private sale.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just doing business as usual.. like people sniping. You can all ways do the same thing.

Fuzzy

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

OR (call me crazy!) maybe the lister of the auction realized there was a problem with the ad and had to pull it

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Ok, so I've asked this q before and never really gotten a satisfactory answer. What's the difference between using an open comb vs. a closed comb razor? Also is the shave enhanced or otherwise better using one vs. the other?

9. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I bet it was that dude over B&B. Mewjti, Mewtji, or whatever he calls himself.

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The teeth on an open comb are said to straighten and align the hair before shaving and the gaps between leave strips of lather to lubricate the blade. I get really close comfortable shaves from my open combs and they do work especially well for shaving with a few days beard growth.

11. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Ok, thanks Chris. That makes sense. For those teeth to be straightening out facial hair though you'd have to have some fairly long whiskers I would think. More than I allow to grow, but my whisker growth is slow anyway. Would you consider the shave to be noticeably better? As in, "why would I ever go back to a closed comb razor?" kind of thing?

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You should really try a NEW. They are dirt cheap and common and shave very well. I like having one or two in the rotation, but wouldn't give up my straight bars and Rockets. ;)

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have found that I get better shaves with my open comb razors than I do closed comb. Maybe it is a weight, head profile thing as much as the comb, but I use an open comb as often as not. My beard doesn't grow too fast. It isn't too heavy, either.

Agreed. NEWs are going up in price; however, if you keep a close eye out you can get one for under $10 with shipping. The blade guide bar does a better job then the two adjustment pins at keeping the blade perfectly straight. The combs have a bit of a hook on the end so they are more gentle on your skin. The blade sits higher off of the comb and gives a better shave as well unlike the old style heads where the blade rests on the comb.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AS I have stated before I love my NEW improved. It is one of the only DE that I use. Nice aggressive shave. wonderful.

Fuzzy

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't think the difference is necessarily if the comb is open or not as much as the general geometry of the head. Sorry, getting nerdy... For instance. The Merkur heads that are closed comb are a completely different design than the open comb, different blade angle, lower profile, etc. I will not say I prefer one over the other in general, but some days I want a specific razor. An open comb merkur is similar to a Gillette Old, which is very different than a New Improved or NEW. I am an advocate for having a wide variety, so I couldn't choose one model as the model I would want to shave with, but there is nothing scary about an open comb. It is just different.

16. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I am sure this doesnt pertain but I have personally ended auctions early and near the end as well. I am one who starts auctions off very low to save on fees and create more of a buzz. Well....If I start a razor at $5 and I want say $20? 6 hours to go and no bids? Yank it! no foul! I dont want to risk to the ONE guy at the end to snag it for $5. I am sure this wasnt the case here but there might have been the fear that the razor wasnt going to get what he expected. Ebay states that if there are no bids.....retract at will! I have done it a few times and only got once question from a watcher. I stated(from Joe Dirt)"Hey man, this aint Unicef!)

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you want to try it. I will loan you my New Improved to try for a bit.

Fuzzy

18. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Are the No46 and the No47 the same razors in different cases?

[​IMG]

19. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

What is the razor at the bottom of the picture?The barber pole swirl does not continue on to the tto.

Attached Files:

20. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It's a British No. 47 like the one pictured right above your post. Is it just the picture angle, or is the knurling on the TTO knob different than the handle? I don't see the swirls in the knob like Achim's picture. :confused:

Could this be another one of those "spare parts" variants?