Possible 2-pass?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morgoroth, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

I have about a medium to thick beard I guess and I am shaving with a SS with Wally-World Personnas(I am going to try something else next) and I want to try and get a BBS shave only using two passes and touch-up.

So, do you guys get BBS with just two passes or am I being impractical?

2. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

I can maybe get BBS with 3 passes with a brand new feather blade but in a razor way more aggressive then a SS

3. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Anymore I usually just do one pass. BBS doesn't even factor in.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

So if I have a more aggressive razor I could get closer in fewer passes and the blade would last longer?

Sounds like rationalizing the purchase of a new razor..... I like it!

5. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

I don't know about blades lasting longer but with my slant I can get in 2 passes what usually takes me at least 3 passes with my milder DE's, so yeah it is a quicker and closer shave if that helps fuel your RAD :D

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For me the best 2-pass shave I get is presentable, but not even near BBS. My normal 3-pass shave is a DFS. If I have the time, a slow 4-pass shave gets me near-BBS (everywhere BBS except my neck).

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Maybe I am just expecting to much then.

8. ssilcox

ssilcox Member

I am in the same boat as Chemerik - no matter what blade/razor combo I use, I cant get BBS without 3 passes and a fourth for touch up. That being said - the least amount of work can be found for me with a feather or swede in my Gillette NEW. You may want to swap out the personna's for one of the sharper blades.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I can get a BBS shave in 3 passes - but usually it would take 4. However, I don't even bother trying to get BBS because by the time my students or co-workers are around, it is about 3 hours since I shaved and I wouldn't be BBS anymore anyway. So why bother risking irritation?

I get much better shaves with some blades than others. With some combos (KAI blade with Merkur HD) I can get BBS in 3 passes. However, if I switch and put a Derby blade in the HD, I can make all the passes I want and I don't get BBS. However, that same Derby blade can get me BBS or DFS in a tech in 3-4 passes.

Usually now, I just go with a 2-3 pass shave that is still much closer and smoother than anything I had when I was using a disposable or electric. My skin feels better, I don't have razor burn or other irritation, and I am much more pleased with my shave.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Sunday evening I shaved with this same set up and got it in two passes. But I have not been able to replicate it. I know I had a solid 3 days of stubble and it was a new blade, but those are the only differences. It was still BBS when I woke up in the morning, and still respectable by Monday night.

If I could just figure out how I did that it would be awesome.

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

complete and total BBS for me comes ONLY with a final ATG pass..........which I do very seldom.

Lately I have been using a 2-pass + Touch Up that has been giving great results.

1 N-S (XTG)
    1 S-N (XTG) except on the bottom half of my neck which gets 2 N-S (XTG) passes.
    TU on the underside of my jaw and its a really great shave.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BBS beyond a few hours is a myth.. so why bother is my thinking. I do 2 passes and touch up usually. DFS

Fuzzy

13. Drew

Drew Member

Same with me. I have never even tried anything more than a 2 pass shave, as I have never needed it. I use "mild" razors (tech, and superspeed) and can't really imagine getting a closer shave than I do with just 2 passes. So yeah, it's possible, but may take you a little while to know exactly how to achieve it.

My routine:
    first pass: N/S all the way around

second pass:
    -ATG on the neck
    -XG on cheeks and moustache: I combine these two "zones" for this purpose... I start at the outside and work my way in, getting cheek and 1/2 of the lip/moustache area per side
    --to get my jaw line nice and clean, I draw my chin in on this pass, thus flattening out the jawline area, making it easier to shave... works VERY well)

-N/S again on chin area, and I'm done

this routine that works for me came after a fair amount of trial and error

BTW, don't let the low post count deceive you... I've been at this traditional wet-shaving thing for years :)

best
    Drew

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

This fairly well describes me too. I always shave a 4th pass on my neck and jawline and then do some touchup beyond that. This gets me pretty close to the BBS, but never totally. There's always those stubborn odd patches of very minor stubble that just won't go. The key is to use very light pressure and relather the shave area. This generally takes care of any irritation or burn that might otherwise have occurred. I can't see getting total BBS in two passes. Maybe if you have very fine, soft whisker growth I could see it, but most of us don't have that.

EDIT: I should also mention whisker growth too. Under my chin is very difficult because I have a swirling growth pattern that's a real PITA. That adds to the difficulty.

15. Tmax

Tmax New Member

I used to think that - but just started with a straight last few weeks, and on the sideburns area I get the best shave that lasts alot lot longer than BBS with a DE ever did.

Trouble is I'm raw and bleeding from the rest of my face :happy102

Gotta go easy on myself :eek:

16. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I get as close as i want to BBS with 2 passes in every shave.

17. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

two passes for me every time + a little touching up. Gem's are perfect for this.

18. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Why?

19. Blades

Blades New Member

I was able to get a smooth shave with 2 passes this past wed(last time I shaved). Felt smooth WTG and XTG, but I could feel stubble ATG. I couldn't see it, but felt it. I was happy with the shave and went to work.
    What if your 2 passes were ATG and XTG only, with a new blade? and then some touch up?

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

I have heard that starting with anything but a WTG first pass would be irritating.

I think my biggest problem at the moment is a dull blade.
    I did four passes this morning and it was the 4th shave on the blade and it was a passable shave, but not as smooth as it should be.

I am going to try some different blades when I run out of these, and I think maybe some of those oh so cool advanced tecniques in Mantic's video.