pre shave prep made a huge difference

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by vinthechin12, Jan 22, 2013.

1. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I usually shave after showering. I will just put a little warm water on my face, lather, shave, rinse, and repeat. Today I preped my face with a hot towel, put my lather bowl on top of the hot water to keep it warm, then splashed water, lathered, shaved, rinsed, and repeated. What a difference that hot towel made. I would get a little razor burn on my neck before those two steps but now I don't have any. That extra two minutes kapt my face feeling great so far today, even though it is only 8. And I've also heard of people using their prorasso in the tube as a preshave. Would this work? Or should I not waste the cream

2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Pre-shave makes a huge difference, at least for me. I don't know about using the proraso in a tube for pre-shave, but proraso does make a preshave in a cup that I use. It has a great cooling effect and will wake you up for sure. I will get razor burn bad if I don't go through my pre-shave ritual, especially when I was using cartridge razors. Try prepping right after a shower, that makes the biggest difference for me.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If you'd like to try an inexpensive preshave try "Corn Huskers Lotion". I've used both Proraso and Jack Black preshaves and find no difference between them and Corn Huskers, except the price and availability.
    Corn Huskers: around 3-$6 for 13oz locally available.
    Jack Black: around $13 for 3oz when I bought it,but I was able to find it locally.
    Proraso: same price around $13 for 3.6oz when I bought it, had to order through amazon.
    Both Jack Black and Proraso have gone up in price.....:)

4. Star

Star Active Member

:signs011:

I like to use my new Trumpers Skin Food as an aftershave and tried it once as a preshave and felt that it did make a difference. Since then I've been using CHL as a preshave since it's basically the same thing minus the fragrance. Works just as well and a lot cheaper. I think I'll put on some Proraso from the tube before I shower and see if that does anything for me.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I use whatever skin cream is on the bathroom counter. Followed by a hot towel. Then for extra added luxury I whip my brush with DR Harris Shaving soap in a Scuttle. Like my first wife razor burn is just an unplesant memory.

stingraysrock, Star, JRod22 and 3 others like this.
  6. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I don't have any pershave, but I have tried the lather then hot towel preshave treatment. I think a guy named Kyle posted this preshave routine on another board and called it the Kyle Method (naturally).

If I make time for a two or three minute hot towel preshave treatment, I now lather up first as it seems to work.

Edit: I may be mistaken about the actual Kyle Method, but this is how I do it and how I remember reading it. If I'm wrong please forgive, my memory isn't what it was.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I don't do the hot towel method, but I do use Vitos preshave. For a long time I used Proraso PreShave, but when I ran out of the big tub (500mL), I ordered a different kind. Both are great, and both facilitate a great shave.

8. Barrylu

For those who do not use a hot towel due to time constraints. I have come up with the following technique. It is fashio Hot towel 001 modified.jpg Hot towel 001 modified.jpg ned after a face mask used in hospitals. The mask is soaked in hot water.A wash cloth is cut and seamed up in the given demensions. Elastic bands are attached to the 4 corners. One elastic strap placed around the neck the other across the crown of the head. The advantage of this device is to allow your hands to be free to perform any other shaving or bathroom needs while softening your beard.

Attached Files:

9. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

That's a great idea! When I do the hot towel I just climb back in bed and lay there for a few minutes. I'm afraid I may end up falling asleep and be late for work.

10. vinthechin12

Great idea. I can poop and warm my face now. I never thought about climbing back into bed with it on. I will buy cornhuskers eventually. That is a good deal

11. Barrylu

OOps forgot this one

Hot towel 002 resized.jpg

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've been using cream/lather as a preshave for a few weeks now and I think it works pretty well. Proraso works as well as any other I've tried but you will end up using a bit more cream (at least I did). I just do the warm wet towel for a bit, then put the cream on and let it sit for a couple minutes while I whip up some more lather in the bowl.

The preshave makes a huge difference for me. In fact, I'd say it's more important than the blade. Just about any blade I've tried (even Merkur) works acceptably for me as long as my prep and lather are good.

13. Sam D.

Sam D. Member

You made my day ! :)

feeltheburn likes this.
  14. vinthechin12

I found corn buskers when I was dragged by my ear (litteraly. she grabbed my ear) into the beauty supply shop with my mom today. I never would have guessed the beauty supply shop has a section for men. Unfortunately I did not have any money. I also saw a big bottle of WH for 3 bucks. Looks like I have to go to the beauty supply shop more often. Lol

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I recently tried baby oil on my beard as soon as I got into the shower. Let it sit there as I shampooed and washed. Washed my face last. It seemed to soften me up quite a bit...didn't have to use a warm cloth before shaving. It works for me.

16. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

Baby oil sounds awesome - could it work as a lather?

17. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I doubt it. It softens but doesn't have the "slickness" that soaps have.

18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It could potentially work as a shave oil, but I'd expect it would clog your razor up quite a bit. My guess it would serve best as a preshave oil.

19. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

My brother and his friend, who got him into it, use baby oil as a "shave oil" in the shower. They swear by it, but they use disposables. I'll have to get his opinion on it.

20. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I believe prep is the key, but I go in the completely opposite direction. No hot towels or pre-shave oil, just a few splashes of cold water from the tap and then let the lather, also made with cold water, set on my face for a couple minutes before shaving. Simple and quick.

feeltheburn and gorgo2 like this.