Pre-War Tech question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Mar 27, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I read that some pre-war techs have a Zamak top cap. My question is do any of the plastic handles ones have this? How would one know for certain short of removing the plating. Believe me I do not plan on doing that for the sake of finding out what material a razor would be constructed of. Just curious if anyone has any information.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Never heard that about the pre war. I far as I know, Gillette only started with Zamak in the sixties. Travel tech heads are zamak..the head has a different shape than the early ones and is lighter with a lower profile..[​IMG]

3. BigMark

Care to chime on Brother Carrington ;) ?

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Caps can be found with all three material types (metal, plastic and Zamak). The most numerous would be the brass caps, then the steel caps, aluminum, plastic, then "Zamak." You will know the difference because the thickness of the cap versus other metal caps.

Plastic handled contract techs from Gillette tended to have plastic caps and handles with a brass or steel base plate although there was a Gold Tech with plastic handle. That is the most likely suspect for Zamak caps.

[​IMG]

You can see the potential in this one. The base is stamped brass and has a clean solid look while the cap seems to be dull with a porous look to it.

Gillette had factories in Germany before the Second World War (nationalized during the conflict) and Gillette USA would be very knowledgeable on the use of Zamak in razors to preserve more precious metal stocks during the war.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  5. BigMark

@GDCarrington , so a high luster would most likely mean brass and low would mean Zamak?

6. BigMark

I would hate to spend the money and find out the thing is zamak. Although my EJ is built pretty well. It even fell in the sink and didn't break.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

mine has a zamak cap, but has a plastic or bake lite base plate.
    the cap is dull gray.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Not necessarily because of plating that can cover it. During the War years, less plating was used or none at all so Zamak is more easily detected.

David's answer below is an example of this particular razor without cap plating or painting.

9. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I'm confused. I thought Zamak wouldn't last, but if they've been around that long with Zamak, it can't be all that bad.

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

some things just are what they are.
    zamak may not be as durable as stainless, or brass even gor that matter. but I have several zamak base razors. I don't see anything wrong with them. a bit of care they should last a while.

BigMark likes this.
  11. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I've heard the Zamak will disintegrate, but even if the travel techs are Zamak and have been around since the 60's, I would say that's long enough to get your money's worth.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Zamak will disintegrate if it is lower grade mixes (there are multiple metal mix ratios) and if the casting and plating are not properly made (Zinc Pest). Some Zamak razors have held up since the 1930s in good condition.

More on Zamak and Zinc Pest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest