Prep - and how to get that velvet squeegee feeling

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by feeltheburn, Apr 5, 2014.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think it was a few months into my traditional shaving journey that I first felt that feeling like my whiskers were so soft that I was just wiping them off with the blade. I loved that feeling but had trouble getting it consistently. It seemed more often than not, I didn't get it. But I wanted to. So lately I've been doing a bunch of experimenting with prep and I think I've found how to get it consistently.

The first time I got this feeling, I was using conditioner as a prep but it wasn't consistently good and I couldn't figure out why. So I tried some other products and got similar sometimes good results. Mentholated face washes like Axe and Nivea aren't bad at all and I do love menthol.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But still I wasn't able to get consistent results.

So what's the key? For me, I've found it's time. Letting whatever I use sit in my beard long enough seems to be the thing that produces great results and that velvet squeegee feeling every time. And that time is longer for me than most recommendations I've heard. 5 minutes is ok but not quite there. 10 minutes usually does it but 15 minutes sometimes gives a noticeable improvement.

So since trying out this theory of more time for the whiskers to soften, I've been trying just using lather as my prep and I've found it works great as long as I give it enough time to work. I've tried Proraso cream, Tabac soap, Palmolive stick, Arko, and several others and all work great as a prep if I give them 10-15 minutes to work.

Here's what I do. Just wet my face and lather up just like I was going to shave. Then walk away for 5 minutes. Strop a straight, load a blade in my DE, or sit in the armchair and surf TSD, whatever. Go back and wet the tips of my brush and freshen up the lather and walk away again. After 5 more minutes, freshen the lather again and take a swipe with the razor. If the whiskers aren't melting off, I freshen the lather up and walk away for 5 more minutes and that usually does it.

I know it seems like a long time but for me the results are worth it. And I can do something else while I'm waiting. Catch up on the news or something.

Anyway, if you're having trouble getting that velvet squeegee feeling, try this out and let me know what you think.

2. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

The Velvet Squeegee - isn't that Mel Torme?

I've had similar experience using a hot towel, also some inconsistency. I suspect a warm or even cold towel would also work given sufficient time but I haven't tried it yet. I had given some thought to trying what you've been doing but put it off, a little hesitant to spend the time but it sounds like it's worth the time.

PatrickA51 and feeltheburn like this.
  3. feeltheburn

I've tried the towel and I don't think it made any difference. Time seemed to be the only thing that mattered.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like the concept.
    In my experience, giving the whiskers a chance to soften goes a long way towards a comfortable shave. Most mornings, I attempt to allocate plenty of time for good prep.
    This includes an initial face/whiskser scrub in the shower with a good cleaning product designed to do just that (like THIS)
    Follow that with a piping-hot towel for two to three minutes, minimum. A good application of pre-shave oil is next. This begins to soften the whiskers while I strop a straight, etc. Lathering is next. I'll continue stropping and let the lather set up on my face. Just prior to beginning, I reapply more 'fresh' lather with another invigorating brush scrub. Time to shave…
    It may sound like a considerable amount of time, but it is no more than 6-8 minutes max—and a good deal of that time I'd be prepping the razor anyway. Time well-spent, in my opinion, as it helps deliver a smooth 'velvety' shave.

PatrickA51, jjhiza and feeltheburn like this.
  5. feeltheburn

I think the amount of time will probably depend on your beard. I have some thick, wiry whiskers and that may be the reason it takes a little longer for me. But now that I've found what works, I'll just take the time. It makes the actual shave go faster so total time isn't much more than when I struggled with all those stragglers.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. jjhiza

jjhiza New Member

Some really great tips guys, thank you! I'm going to give these suggestions a go later this week, and see how much of a difference a little extra time makes. :)

PatrickA51 and JRod22 like this.
  7. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

I actually apply my green Proraso pre-shave soap between flossing and brushing my teeth. After drying off from the shower, I wet my face with warm water, floss, apply pre-shave, brush my teeth, then begin the face lathering. It's definitely more prep than when I was disp. cart. shaving 3 weeks ago! Should I do more?

8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I generally haven't ever done anything aside from wetting my face. I started experimenting with Noxzema this week and while I like it, I'm not sure it makes a difference. One thing I don't like about it is that it ruins the smell of whatever cream I use.

gorgo2, PatrickA51 and JRod22 like this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

@feeltheburn Have you tried applying a hot towel to the lathered up beard? =P

I've seen it done in a video by geofatboy

11. feeltheburn

I have tried it and didn't find that it made any difference to me. Not to say that it wasn't nice but it didn't soften my beard up any faster.

12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That's to bad. I haven't tried it either, but it sounds smart hahaha

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, you surf TSD with lather on your face?

14. feeltheburn

What would be wrong with that? Seems fitting to me :)

BigMark and Omelmad like this.
  15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Velvet squeegee? I smell a custom title in your future.

BigMark likes this.
  16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@feeltheburn

I find this a very interesting topic and great discussion.
    You said your beard is especially "wiry" and tough.
    Would you characterize your hair as dry, normal, or oily?

17. feeltheburn

I have avoided that for a pretty long time :)
    I guess normal?

18. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@feeltheburn

Ok. thanks for answering.

After these extended periods of letting the shaving soap lather linger on your face,
    have you ever rinsed the soap off and felt your beard to see if it seemed exceptionally soft?

What I'm getting at is, shaving soap has ingredients that promote the bonding of the oil in your beard hair with water.
    In your case, the extended period of time you allow the soap to remain on your face (and repeated trips to the sink to stir and re-hydrate the soap)
    should be accomplishing a "bang-up" job of bonding the oil in your beard hair with the water in your lather.
    If the amount of oil in your beard hair is being significantly reduced, then the beard hair should actually be getting stiffer and more brittle.

If you have a chance and don't mind trying it, maybe you could rinse off the long standing lather next time and give us your thoughts.

Is the hair softer or tougher?

Thanks

19. feeltheburn

My whiskers do feel softer when I rub them with my hands and it's a pretty noticeable difference. I can sort of tell if they're ready by how soft they feel now.

20. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

What I do is lather up in the morning and then shave when I get home in the afternoon. LOL. Just kidding, I had to give you a hard time.......

gzp and feeltheburn like this.