Prep - and how to get that velvet squeegee feeling

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by feeltheburn, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Ok. softer.

Thanks

Omelmad likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep.

3. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Very good topic, I have not been de shaving that long. Keep posting i will keep reading trying and let you know if something is working for me

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Im in the process of doing this right now =D i hope it works for me. Im using proraso red

5. Tattoobob

Very interesting, I'm going to try that soon

6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Based on this I decided to try something. I decided to put on pre-shave oil while I was still in the shower, then dry off everything except my face. By the time I have made a lather, gotten my razor together, etc., about 5 minutes has passed.

It made a BIG difference. Thanks.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's great! I've been thinking about revisiting pre-shave oil and giving it more time to work. Maybe I'll try that out this weekend.

8. Tattoobob

We'll i am trying it right, now got EJ soap, aloe on my head,will see how it goes, I'll be back later

9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I was unsure about the lather being on the face for a long time. I thought that any soap should not stay on for a long time, and lather is a soap. And since I always use pre-shave ...

10. Tattoobob

I let the soap on for about 8 mins. Worked more soap in wait about 8 more mins. Rinsed off real good, hard to feel any Change in softening. 2 days growth.

11. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

If it's EJ soap puck vs cream - I found that my EJ Sandalwood puck required quite a bit of 'break in' before it made a decent lather that moisturized and softened, but YMMV and hopefully for the better.

Soaking the whole puck initially for 20 - 30 minutes might do the trick. I soaked mine like you did (~10 mins daily), and it took ~2 weeks before it made good lather.

12. Tattoobob

I agree, the soap is well broke in and lathers real nice. I mix it with EJ aloe cream to shave with.

13. redbeard

redbeard Member

What I have been doing is using a face scrub that has menthol in it (Burt's bees) while showering. I wash my hair, wash my face and leave it on my face till I'm done washing up then at the end give it a good rinse and good to go.

I find pre shave doesn't do anything for me, maybe I need to try a different one but I'm not keen to buying one and not liking that either.