Pressure - King of good shaves?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Charles K

Charles K New Member

I agree with the light pressure, but being new I am still learning about lather. I don't think I have gotten to the real slick lather yet, but I will, "maybe"

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That was my experience. I started out using a safety razor with absolutely no pressure whatsoever. The shaves were not very good and there was a lot of tugging. Then I tried VERY light pressure, figuring the worst I had to risk was a little razor burn. The shave was great, and I have been shaving that way ever since.

I think it is all in the definition of "no pressure". What one person calls very light pressure another person might call no pressure. I still think it is good for newbies to start out using absolutely no pressure. If that does not work well, then they can always increase the pressure ever so slightly and see if there is an improvement.

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Exactly!

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A decent application of Pre-Shave oil can help in this situation. Apply & massage the PSO into your face while you prep to make lather.
    Make your own!

Charles K likes this.
  5. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    :signs011:

I've been pondering this very thing about the soap! I'm new to injectors and was comparing the Schick and Personna blades. I got good and bad shaves so figured it was just my failure to "dial in" to the injector. I thought I was missing the angle or botching the pressure, but a thread here made me start wondering about the soap!

I was trying Col. Conk for the first time during my injector-learning. The same soap-thinking thread sort of put Williams in my mind so I bought a puck. This morning I know I had some pressure on the injector, but the third shave on the Personna blade was better than the first two. It was the soap!

I don't know how long it has been since I last used Williams. A year, maybe? I have better soaps (Col. Conk ain't one of 'em though!), but ... maybe the value of the Williams was as a base line.

SO... all of that to say I second your notion of slickness and add also cushion. I think the Conk was slick enough, it just didn't protect as well. Better soap seems to allow more pressure.

feeltheburn likes this.