Problem Area on Neck

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by ButchersHook, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

It has been 7 months since I had my first wet shave and I randomly purchased and used many different products with mixed results until I started visiting these forums. Based on advice I found here, I started a 26 day regime of using only one razor and one brand blade. I started that regime with a milder razor with a milder blade – Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor with a Derby Extra blade. When I was able to go 6 days without a single nick, I graduated to a more aggressive razor and blade every week or so until now where I am feeling pretty comfortable with a moderately aggressive razor and Feather blades.

Admittedly, I still have to concentrate and take it slow but when I do, I get very comfortable shaves with no nicks or burn. There is, however, a spot on my neck that prevents me from getting a complete BBS. Every other part of my face: cheeks, jawline, other side of neck, I can get BBS but no matter what I do, I cannot get that one spot to get smooth.

I have tried several advanced techniques including the “J Hook”, the “Gillette Slide” and blade buffing. I have only used these techniques a few times each. I have learned which way my hair grows and have approached the shave in several different ways.

My question for this community is, do I need to keep practicing with the advanced techniques for them to be useful or are there other techniques that I have not tried yet?

A second part of this issue would be regarding hair follicles. It seems like I have seen somewhere on the forums that sometimes hair follicles are just close to the surface and can cause you to feel them. Is this correct? Can go get a shave that is as close as can be gotten but hair follicles can still be felt?

At this point, I am not sure that it really matters because I am very happy with my morning shaves. I cannot see that rough spot nor can anyone else but it just bugs me because I know it’s there even if no else does. I actually remember a sense of pride the first time I had a BBS shave and if I can get rid of this rough spot, I think I would feel a sense of satisfaction.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or for me?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What I will say will sound odd to some, but it just might work. No guarantees.

Go get a Trac II style (or similar) two bladed razor and some good blades (do not use another type of multi bladed razor or one that pivots) because we are going to use it as an inexpensive primer razor.

When you are getting ready to shave, place some lather at the very first on the spot you are having an issue with. Then go over that spot with the Trac II razor and use some gentle pressure to work that spot with one pass.

After you have gone over that spot, then apply your lather to your entire face and shave normally with your regular razor.

What I hope happens is that the Trac II will lift up the hairs just enough when it cuts that the passes with the DE will be slightly more effective.

This may seem to be an odd solution but it is worth a try because sometimes even advanced techniques can fail on a problem area and sometimes you need to think "outside of the box.'

As to the follicles depth, I have not heard of this before so I will withhold comment on it for now.

Good fortune to you.

3. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

If you can keep shaving and get it totally smooth without irritation, I say go for it. stretch your skin flat so you can shave the spot more thoroughly.

maybe you really can't get that spot BBS smooth without getting skin irritation, I don't think its something anyone would notice. no big deal. I don't often go to extra effort to get a BBS shave.

4. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

Thanks for the responses so far. Although using a "Primer" twin blade is a bit out of the box, it may be worth trying at least. I have no cartridge razors in my collection so perhaps this is an opportunity to pick up a Trac II or something. As for the irritation, everything else I can get BBS with two passes and a few touch-ups. I have gone three passes before but if I go four or more, I am risking some burn no matter how lightly or careful I am. It's time to do some testing in that spot and see how far I can go. Oh, also I typically shave every other day but there are many times where I have gone every day for a week or so. When I do that, I have tried taking my first pass against the grain in that spot. Although this has not led to any irritation so far, it does not seem to make a difference.

I was also thinking about face preparation as well. I always shaved straight from the shower but I have never tried a hot towel just prior to shaving. I don't know if there is merit to that since I am fresh from the shower but it is something else I am going to try. My typical routine is to soak my brush in a mug of hot water while I shower where I use a face wash, sometimes Baxter of California and sometimes Schulz and Malley. I dry everything except my face then re-heat the brush water while I re-wet my face and apply a pre-shave oil. Then I lather and shave as usual.

J.F., you are correct, though, I could live without it BBS in that spot because no one does notice. It's just a personal quest to see if I can conquer that spot.

I don't remember where I saw that post about hair follicles but it could have been a different forum. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything like that before.

5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I too have a place on my neck that is particularly difficult to get BBS.
    I've tried several blades in several razors, and so far there are only two razor/blade
    combinations that can get this area clean every time. The first razor is an old Gillette Super Speed, and it
    favors the Gillette 7OC green blade. The second razor that can conquer the difficult neck patch is the Merkur 15C open comb.
    It however does not favor the 7OC green blade, but instead is at it's best with the Astra SP.
    Experience has led me to believe that for each razor, there are bad, fair, good, and superior blades,
    and what works really well in razor A is likely to work terribly in razor B. If you have not tried 8-12 different blades
    in the razor you are currently using, you should. I think you will find one blade (maybe two if you are lucky) that will do an
    outstanding job and get that rough patch clean nearly every time. Before I tried the 7OC greens in my old Super Speed,
    I used Personna Reds. They were relatively smooth, and I could get a DFS+ most every time with 3 passes.
    As it turns out, the Personna's were actually a fair-good blade, I just didn't know it. The 7OC greens are silky smooth,
    and get me to BBS nearly every time with only 2 passes.

So much for blades, now about technique.

After finding your A++ blade, the next thing to try would be different patterns or paths when shaving, especially that rough area.
    My tough (and sensitive) area is midway between my chin and the hollow part of my throat just to the left of center.
    My first pass in this area is straight down, North to South. The second pass is completely different. I start the first stroke
    directly under the center of my chin and progress downward toward the base of my neck below the left ear.
    The next stroke begins below the Adams apple area and proceeds toward my left ear lobe. I guess you could call this
    something of a "chevron" pattern. I use just enough pressure on the razor to hold it flat against the skin and proceed slowly.
    I've found that if I move too fast, even with a brand new blade, the area just does not get clean.
    Also, I use only mild-moderate skin stretching in this area. I tilt my head straight back, but only slightly, and then place my
    non razor hand at the base of my throat and pull down slightly. Experience has taught me that you can stretch the skin too much,
    as well as not enough. Placing my hand at the base of the throat and pulling down allows very precise stretching of the skin
    and really helps in getting the rough patch smooth.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

You might have already considered this, but maybe the direction your stubble grows is throwing you off. I have some trouble on my neck in that aspect.

Omaney likes this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Me too.

I think it may be a common thing to assume the grain is "north to south" if you will. I find that my neck growth is more from the Adam's apple toward the ears. ATG shave for me would be almost horizontally towards the Adam's apple.

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Yeah I have a similar story. Right above my Adam's apple my stubble grows south to north, on the left side of my neck it grows east to west.

9. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

Well, it has been a crazy busy holiday weekend but I tried a few things to deal with my problem spot. I do, indeed, have an unusual direction of growth. If my left is West, then my beard grows from South-West to North-East except for my problem area which seems to be directly from left to right.

After carefully trying new things over the last few days, it seems like I have discovered something that works better than anything else. This might sound strange, but my best solution seems to be aftershave.

No matter what I try, I still walk away with a rough feeling patch but when I used a new aftershave on Saturday, it seemed to tighten my face up a bit and made that spot feel smoother within a few minutes. I tried it again on Sunday and This morning and so far, this seems to make that spot feel much smoother. Not quite BBS, mind you, but much smoother than it has been.

If I make too many passes, no matter what blade I use, I tend to get irritation so I think for now, this is my solution.

10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Glad to see you found a solution. I have an issue with my Adams Apple. I just let it go and and go for a presentable look.

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Something that's occurred to me is that in the several months since I've been using a DE and wet shaving: my neck has lost it's irritated patches. The cartridges always left stubble and abrasion. I can now comfortably shave ATG on the neck as long as I am careful to maintain technique.