Problem with my Ben Hur Mikron, need your help if you please !

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cha-wing!!, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Cha-wing!!

Cha-wing!! Well-Known Member

Hello Gentlemen !

I was lucky enough to find a Ben Hur Mikron (very much like and Apollo Mikron. The problem is, the adjustable ring doesn't work. There is no resistance when I screw tight, this is just like a regular DE. :/

So, I took it apart, the task was harder than expected because, in the head, some corrosion made some goop and both parts were stuck. So I bathed the razor in several thins, and the head finally came apart.

Here are some pictures :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't it supposed to have a spring somewhere ? My Gibbs adj works with a sprinc, and it's quite easy to see the "adjustment moment" when you close the razor. So :

- does it just miss a spring ?
    - is the srping inside but stuck ?
    - in the head, in the part aournd the hole, shown here :

[​IMG]

Is it supposed to be like this ? Because the corrosion hides a lot. Is the center tube supposed to be stuck or should it move ?

Any input is welcome, thank you very much for your attention !

Cheers,
    Thomas

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry no first hand experience but I'm fairly certain you're missing the spring by the looks of it. It could actually possibly be wedged inside the handle.

I don't read much German, but maybe there is some reference to it in the original Apollo instructions:

[​IMG]

Redfisher likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Also:
    [​IMG]

Redfisher likes this.
  4. Cha-wing!!

Thanks Richard ;) There are two schools of thought, amongst the members of a French forum :

- the spring should be in the head and is missing
    - the spring is in the handle, and I should unscrew the tinywiny screw hidden by the red dot, at the end of the handle.

I am now concentrating all my efforts on finding a screwdriver that small...

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If there's a patent number somewhere on this or another Mikron it might also be possible to look up the patent in the country it was filed to see the schematics and how it was made

Redfisher likes this.
  6. Cha-wing!!

Indeed, but no patent numbre written anywhere, not even in the leather case. And I'm missing the notice :/

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

8. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

I know it's an older thread, but here's mine.
    A work colleague gave it to me. Said it was in an old WW2 ammo case of an older gentleman whose house he helped to clean out.
    Said also that the gentleman was a Carpenter, but I think he was a machinist.
    The company Klopp made/makes machining lathes and the like. The klopp schnellhobler is I think one of their patented metal forming machines/3pos lathes. Also to note, while the paint is gone, the impression in the velvet with the same logo is still there.
    It took me a little while to read all the threads here and there, but I figured out what it is.
    And I'm betting that it was either a retirement or years of service award.
    Somewhere along the way though the bottom dial got cracked or knocked off.

It took me a while to get it all open and realigned to zero or one as it were, as the glue was keeping the bottom cap and screw at bay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a little clean up and realigned

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

My guess is that the spring is clogged up maybe stuck so the adjustments don't work. A good soaking in detergent and hot water would be my first step. This razor is not all that different from the progress so me I'd try to loosen things up first!
    Oh and just saying welcome back Mr D I missed you amigo!

Robyflexx likes this.