Problems with aggression or lack of....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BABYFACE, Feb 9, 2009.

1. BABYFACE

BABYFACE New Member

Dear All

Firstly great shaving site. Just started DE shaving with a new Muhle Pinsel R89, bought this from the muhle-pinsel webiste. It has the same head as the new Edwin Jagger. The old Edwin Jaggers were merkur heads. This razor is too mild for me and i am finding that after 7 passes + touch up my face is BBS and slightly sore. I use proraso original and a kent BK8 then alum. Kiehls energising moisturiser is my ASB.
    I used a new gillette swede in the razor, the next day it was shaving nothing. Changed the blade to new swede and still it would not shave my face even under pressure. Had to resort to a gillette con-fusion.

I love the finish and quality but personally need something more aggressive.

My first DE shave was with a wilkie DE with Gillette swede at my mates house - that was 5 pass + touch up. But eek so tacky. Great razor but hate plastic and wanted something classier.

I have been shaving for around 25 years and have thick stubble my skin is fairly resilient. I started shaving when I was 12! Honestly! Had given up the quest for BBS with the gillette con-fusion.

I am after a 2-3 pass shave + touch up for near daily use. (1-2 days stubble)

I was thinking about the Merkur 38c or 39c both long handle or a Progress/Mergress. Is there a huge difference between the three and which is best ? Love the idea of a non-adjustable - just load it up and go.

BTW - anyone wanna buy a new Muhle Pinsel r89, in original box etc... - I think it would be great for a newbie or someone with less stubble or someone wanting to add to their collection?

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I have had both the 37c and 39c slants. Personally I like the 37c which is the regular slant. The long handled slant was too heavy for me and didn't feel right in my hand. Good news is you can get either or both and sell both or one if you don't like it/them. People are always wanting a deal on a slant.

3. mmack66

mmack66 Member

You should try to get a hold of the previous model R89. I was supposedly very aggressive.

4. BABYFACE

BABYFACE New Member

possible alternatives

Had a browse on ebay and you can pick up some half decent vintage
    is there a definitive guide to Gillette vintage models with pictures and aggressiveness??

And, is the fatboy really all that - compared to an HD or 38c what would the settings equate to? is it mild even at 9 setting??

Have found the old R89 for 17.89 but am a little anxious - would hate to buy the same again ! so would rather try other avenues for the time being.

5. sas71

sas71 Member

so are you saying the newer Muhles and EJ's are milder than the older ones, how can you tell which is which?

im using a '65 SS now and it gives good shaves but i might like to go up a notch as in whatever my razor would be on a adjustable, dial up 1 setting and go from there. after reading the reviews on the Muhle i wasnt sure i wanted to try it.

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

A Fat Boy set on number 9 is a scary beast. I've had some good shaves with one on that setting and I would not consider it mild. You may try a Red Tip Super Speed or a Barbasol razor if you are looking for aggressive.