producing lather from Proraso

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Flatfish, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I have three creams. Body shop, taylors rose and proraso.
    The body shop produces loads of wonderful lather. Like tribbles from Star Trek it seems to multiply. A very tiny amount goes a very long way and after three passes there is a lot left over.
    Taylors Rose is also pretty similar although I'm tempted to say that apart from the smell I prefer the body shop.
    Proraso is different. I have to squeeze out about double the amount of cream compared to the others and I still don't get much lather. To little water and I get no lather. Add water and I get some lather but its a bit weak compared to the body shop and taylors. Am I doing something wrong with the Proraso?
    Thanks
    Kristian
    PS Are there any coconut scented creams or soaps available that are cheaper than Trumpers. I live in the UK

2. OldFashioned

OldFashioned New Member

I always get good lather from proraso. I used the red tube cream. But to be honest, I dont like alot of lather. I used to when I used the canned goo. I used to think the more the better. Well, it was just a bunch of air and it never "lubed" my skin. the lather i get from the creams/soaps are 10x better not to mention the brush is a godsend for producing it. these lathers are supposed to be just layer of rich thick (but not too thick, just a white layer over your skin) creamy lather on your skin, not having peaks or anything. Its that slickness you want. I realized that so now I dont even bother making so much lather as it is just air anyway from whipping. The less whipping, the slicker. I use a brush thats been shaken out but not squeezed and add the cream to the top of the bristles and just stir now on my wet hot palm (from hot water). I see alot of pics of members' soap/cream lathers when doing reviews and there lather IMO has way too much air/water in it. The brush allows you to cover your face with that layer.

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Welcome to The Shave Den, OldFashoined!!!

I've not had a problem lathering Proraso either. Works great for me. Don't know what the trouble could be...

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Welcome to TSD. It takes me about twice the time and a little more vigor to get a nice lather from proraso but when it finally does lather, its nice. I'm just not a huge fan of the smell and prefer the english creams.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome OldFashioned! :),

I only have the Proraso Green soap and cream, I never have any troubles lathering it either...it always seems to lather great.....maybe something in your water is not agreeing with it?

You could try to lather it up with some hot distilled H2O and see if that works better for you?

6. Monkey

Monkey New Member

I've used TOBS, Proraso Red, and Proaso green (among a few others). I've noticed that TOBS creams are already a little more "hydrated" than the tubes of Proraso... and the Red lathers a little easier than the Green. I think it all depends on how much water you're using... at least it was that way for me. Once I got the water issue down... the green made loads of lather.

If the Green seems to be giving you a harder time lathering... try just add a few more drops of water "to taste".

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    A great cream, and a scent that I really enjoy.

It does take a bit more water to get it working.

8. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Got it sorted

Its weird how different soaps and creams seem to require different techniques to produce lather. eg. Body shop and Taylors I mix in a heated bowl. MWF I use a wet brush (contrary to what has been suggested here, no disrespect) and go from the soap directly to the face. It works for me.
    Proraso I find is hopeless in the bowl. However I have finally got this one sorted. I squeeze out a bit on my finger and dab it on my cheeks and neck, I take the shaken out brush to my face and I finally get decent lather.
    I suppose its all part of a learning curve like other aspects of shaving.
    Thanks for the advice
    Kristian:happy108

9. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

First I would ask what kind of brush you have. I think a floppy brush would not do the job as well.

Second do you have hard water?

Third are you soaking the brush in hot tap water?

Fourth try not to shake the brush out so much Proraso needs a little water to get it going. I use a latte mug and fill it with hot tap water to soak the brush in 10 min or the length of a shower. I empty the cup and shake the brush until nearly dry. Squeeze about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of Proraso in to the cup and goto it. Round and round no problems. I fill me sink with hot h20 and put the cup in there to keep warm. If it starts to tighten I add a drop of water from the sink.

Great stuff.

10. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I had a floppy brush that worked great with proraso cream. After soaking the brush in hot water in my mug during my shower, I'd flick the water off the brush - just one flick! - then I'd drain the mug only leaving a few large drops of water in it. I'd add a peanut M&M sized lump of cream to my brush, and whirl away. I'd add small bits of water from the faucet as needed and the result was gobs of creamy, stiff, moist, lather

mmmm M&M's

11. azjoe

azjoe New Member

I've noticed that if I have too much water in either the brush or the mug when I drop the proraso cream in there, then when I drop the brush onto the ribbon of proraso to commence whipping up some later the ribbon of creme seems to slide up into/between the brush bristles and it takes lots of work to get it mixed... ie, it seems to just stay fairly intact as a lump inside the brush's mop of bristles.

For me it works better to start with no extra water in the mug and a fairly dry brush (a good shake will do it)... I only add additional water after I get the ribbon completely dispersed onto the bristle ends.

Alternatively, I put the ribbon in the palm of my hand and spread/work it into the brush bristles before using a mug or my face to finish building the suds. (The cream that remains in my hand gets wiped onto my damp face before I brush the suds from the mug onto my face.) YMMV

12. PolieCat

PolieCat New Member

I also seem to have to work harder getting lather from Proraso than I do with TOBS or with Trumpers, but I don't know why that would be the case. I love the menthol in Proraso.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    None taken. All any of us can do is suggest. :)

Too many shaving things are YMMV for us to be "This is THE way". Only thing people should take away from all these shaving posts are advice, not gospel. ;)

14. OldFashioned

OldFashioned New Member

proraso is kinda hard to the touch to be honest with ya. AOS is so soft, ya cant compare. i now only use aos.

15. Ping-Anser

Ping-Anser New Member

Lather Problems

I have the same issue as you. I finally got good lather with it, but I had to add about twice as much cream as I am used to with other products. My water is fairly hard so that may be the issue. I use a bowl and haven't tried face lathering, but I may give that a go.

16. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Has anyone ever whipped cream by hand?

It requires a cold bowl and whisk. Preferably one that has been left in the freezer over night. You pour the cream into the bowl and beat away. You should be able to do this in 1 minute for 1 quart of cream.

What is he rambling about you say?

Just this. I have been using Proraso for about 6 months with no previous cream experience. This is how it works for me YMMV.

Hot water to where you can't stand the touch. Fill lather bowl and soak brush. Fill basin with same water and soak bowl. Take shower. Dump water in bowl and shake brush to almost dry. Add about a pea to lima bean drop of Proraso. Whip like mad in circular motions. If the cream starts to get tight add a dram of hot basin water to the mix. Whip some more, still tight one more dram. It will loosen up. It should take no more than 1 minute.

Again water temperature, mineral content, brush, etc all play a part in this.:cool:

17. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Change of opinion

Initially unimpressed by Proraso. Based on the information from this board changed my approach.

I always used a glycerin soap. Placed a strip of Proraso on the soap and added enough hot water to level of the soap.

Placed a quarter sized cream on my VH boar brush. Added a trickle of hot water and mixed in the coffee cup. Very good lather.

The menthol still gives me a slight headache and the moisterizing effect is not as good as other creams.

18. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

glad we could help.:D

19. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Used my Proraso this weekend OMG :eek: the lather just coming and would not stop I easliy had enough two days use :D Loved it

20. MrMattyV

MrMattyV New Member

i used some yesterday and i didnt have a problem getting a nice lather, was my first time using it too