Pulled the trigger on a slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Depictureboy, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Depictureboy

Depictureboy New Member

Ordered a merkur 39c today. I've been using an ej89dbl for a few months and even with a feather I'm getting irritation on my neck mostly. My face I can get away with one or two passes, but my neck is so crazy I have to make several passes for even an adequate shave. Can't wait to see how it does.

HolyRollah likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I tried a vintage Merkur slant, but I found it overly light and didn't find it shaved as well(close) as my EJ89..Good luck with your new model..I wish Merkur would make an affordable "3 piece slant" I could buy...I know iKon makes a stainless 3 piece slant, but based on how the "vintage Merkur slant" shaved for me I'm unwilling to pay the $150 to try it.... After you use your new 39C you'll have to write a review for us...:)

[Edit] I'd like to add that I find Feather blades are also harsh and irritating to my face..Have you ever tried the PolSilver Super Iridium blades? Unfortunately they are priced like Feathers, but I.M.O. give a much more pleasent, irritation free shave and have better longevity...Viking's Sword are another really good blade for me and the price is around a 1/3 of Feather or PolSilver SI...:)

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

39C is a heavier version of the 37C. I LOVED my modern slant; thing shaved like a dream with whatever blade I put into it. I have a feeling you'll love yours.

4. Depictureboy

Depictureboy New Member

Why the passed tense neolithic?

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 39c is a fantastic razor! Congrats on taking the slant plunge. I try to take as few passes as possible when I shave in order to minimize the chance of irritation or rash. The slant shaves especially close so two passes get me to BBS. 'The Sledgehammer' has some heft to it, so a very touch is all that is required to get smooth results. Of course, as always, YMMV, but this razor is a regular part of my shaving rotation. :)

[​IMG]

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The 39c is a great razor - very efficient. Make sure you use a light touch with it. It'll let you know if you're being too heavy handed. Feathers work well in it for me but if you're getting irritation, try changing them a little sooner. I've found if I push a Feather too long it still cuts fine but leaves me irritated. I get 2 comfortable shaves from them. The 3rd is hit or miss. Sometimes it's ok, Sometimes it isn't. So now, I usually just toss the blade after the 2nd shave. I've got a tough beard though.

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Depictureboy

Depictureboy New Member

Feeltheburn that's my issue too. I have a tough beard and I have trouble walking away from rough patches ;-)

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have that exact model on my wish-list this year - I really like the heft and size of the 39'er contra the 37'er. I understand the theory behind a slanted blade, much like the guillotine, so I hope, should I be so fortunate to get it, that the reality matches theory :)

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Martin, the good news is, even if the Slant experience doesn't meet expectations, there is a large market willing to buy your slant. ;)

10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

That sounds good, Kevin! Although I'm positive I'll like it, there could be issues also.