Pulling skin taught

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by 7055, Oct 19, 2015.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

lolllllllllllll

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Simple answer: I don't pull ;) I might not have the youngest skin any more, but for my DE-safety-razor-shaving it's more than sufficient to just make some funny faces and bend my nose (which I usually do not cover with soap) while shaving the upper lip. I still achieve a smooth and close shave this way.

178-bplatoon and Billyfergie like this.
  3. 7055

7055 Active Member

I finally tried this today and it wasn't working for me, honestly didn't notice any difference in grip, is there something I'm doing wrong? Does it have to be a specific type of aluminum?

Troy M likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use a RazoRock block. Works for me. What are you using?

5. 7055

7055 Active Member

Just had them cut a small block of aluminum angle for me at the hardware store, that's why I was wondering if maybe it has to be a certain kind or alloy or something.

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Not aluminum, alum. Alum is a specific material that looks like a white rock. It can be bought at Amazon or any shaving supplies store.

7. swarden43

:signs011: read too fast and missed "aluminum" :ashamed001:

cmorris357 likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I always have a dry hand towel handy for everything while shaving. When pulling skin taut I will either wipe that area or I'll run whatever fingers or thumb I'm gonna use across the dry towel as it lays on the counter. Sometimes I don't use anything at all and just do it. You'll learn to feel it out. :happy088:

Spud and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

The skin does not need to be drum tight, wet slippery fingers are good enough to pull skin a bit tight, just a bit of pressure and your good to go. If I had to pull my nearly 70 year old skin tight, I'd need a pair of pliers and a rubber band. Keep it simple guys, it gets easier that way. Happy shaving. Denis

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my brother's name is Dennis, but with two n's.
    his middle is Jay, his work mates call him DJ.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Ditto on the alum bar. Works like a charm for finger grip.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. 7055

7055 Active Member

Oh okay, so I'm not supposed to be rubbing aluminum all over my face then, I guess that makes more sense LOL

Troy M and Robyflexx like this.
  14. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

This.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

This is what I do mainly. You can also pull skin from places outside of the shaving cream on your face as well. Sometimes just turning your face to one side so it pulls the skin in one direction or the other or lifting the chin, etc. works.

After you have shaved part of an area you can pull the skin from the shaved area to tighten the skin. Many ways.

Robyflexx and CyanideMetal like this.
  16. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

This is true.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

you can also find it at some markets like Whole foods. I think there are two kinds of alum so get the right one. If it is labeled as shaving alum then you are fine. The only place I need to stretch my skin is my cheeks and I just puff them out with air. Works fine.

CyanideMetal and Robyflexx like this.
  18. swarden43

Give it another 12-15 years :p

19. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

ha...yeah, I guess that was a bit of an accidental humble-brag.

swarden43 likes this.