Q for SE experts re: Gem Streamline or Jewel?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think that's what it's called, anyway - I only know what I've heard of them, that they're very well made compared to the 1912 and others. I'm not really interested in getting one but I'm curious when they were produced and what specifically is different about them? Thanks much...

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

They came out sometime in the 50's. Think of them as an upscale version of the 1912, heavier, very well plated and they were also fairly expensive. I saw a picture of one with an advertised price of 12' 6d, but I have no idea how much that was in US dollars in the 50's.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I think I know the razor mentioned here , it seems like Ebay UK is where they are found, every pic I have seen of one thats where its been snagged. They always have the cool bakelite case.

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

This is on my list of razors still to acquire, but not at any price; I'm willing to wait for a real bargain. I haven't seen one directly for sale anyway, just the posts when somebody on a forum finds one. They appeared under both the Gem and Ever-Ready brands, both made in England.

Twelve shillings, sixpence in 1950 would be worth £16.70 in 2010 British Pounds according to measuringworth.com. That's $26.27 on today's exchange rate, so it wasn't really a luxury item at the time, but not cheap either. Incidentally, $26.27 in 2010 USD would have been $2.90 in 1950. As a somewhat hard to find collectible, they could easily go for a lot more than $26.27 today, but as I said, I'm looking for a bargain. :) I understand that these are heavier than many SEs, do have a high level of workmanship, and give a very close shave.

5. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

The Gem version is called the Jewel, while the Ever Ready version is the Streamline. At least that is my understanding. Same razor made by same company just using 2 different brand names still after they merged.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Cool, thanks for all the info. Looking forward someday to someone reviewing it and comparing it with the '12.