Question about vintage blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fishcrow, Feb 20, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Just curious, can vintage double edge razor blades be used for shaving? Is anyone used vintage double edge blades? What has your experience been?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sure. Why not? As long as they aren't rusty. I've used some Gillette Thins with good results.

3. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Maybe not as vintage as you are taking about but Personna74's and Wilkinson's made in England go nuts on the Bay.

4. Hi there,

Man, it's been a long time since last typing at you. Maybe I can give a little insight into the vintage blade thing.

Personally, I'd stay clear of blades made up till the early 1960s before stainless steel was used, such as the Gillette Blue Blades. Some people like em, but to most others they're a pretty rough road.

For the longest time (almost three years) the Iridium was my go to blade. Now I don't use em anymore, having gone to vintage blades only. I was shocked when I found some old blades that actually performed better than my'perfect' currently made one. It took a while and some trial and error, but sure as heck some of these vintage blades are just a tad better than anything else for me.

Tuco is right about some DE blades selling for top dollar. The Personna74 and Wilkinson Light Brigades can go for $2-3 each. Heh, yeah, many times more than any current blade sells for. The main reason they command that price is the performance. Nostalgia has very little if anything to do with this, but maybe there's a little bit or maybe not.

Now there's other excellent blades that aren't as well known, and others still that are known but sell for considerably less.......50 cents each or so and sometimes even less. Luckily,two of my now favorite blades fit in that category and I'm slowly grabbing em when they come up for a good price.

Schick makes some good blades, as does Gillette and Personna and Wilkinson (UK made). The Gillette 'Spoiler' gets great reviews and so do some types of (but not all) the Schick Plus Platinum blades. Heh, it's a whole new rabbit hole to freefall down.

If you like, send me a message with your mailing address and I'll put a few interesting blades in the mail. See for yourself what's up.

Martin

Oh yeah, I should also mention the vintage injector blades. This is another case of trial and error, but some old injector blades are MUCH sharper than any currently made ones I know of, including the Pella and Chinese Schicks. You'll see those blades selling for $1 each or so.

Conrad1959 and macaronus like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

No problem. I've got some old blades. You know, the ones with three holes in them. So I guess they're quite vintage. No brand on them, just "made in Germany" and "Best Safety Razor". I am using one at the moment in my Gillette Old Style. I rehoned and restropped it first in an Allegro model L honing device, to be a bit more ceertain as to the sharpness. I'm now at the fourth shave and still going strong. Almost BBS this morning.

I've got some other old ones as well, some Dutch brand (Punktal), also from the days when. But they are a bit rusted. So I haven't tried them (yet). I might if I can get rid of the rust. Guess I'll try them in the Allegro as well, one time.

6. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I have been using a Gillette Super Blue Blade in a Goodwill razor for the last 2 days and have not been pleased. May be the blade, may be my inexperience. I won't use a Super Blue for a while, if ever.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I love this thread! :) Been using early '60s Gillette Super Stainless the past few days. Wonderful blades.

8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

With newer blades as inexpensive and available as they are. I've really have little desire to use the older ones that I have. When ever I do get that desire I usually just reach for a Derby!:)-)

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Right! I was thinking about you when I saw this thread! I am so glad you decided to make the scene! So tell us one again about your stroppers and honers and all that stuff!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If it was a year or two ago, I would say stock up on vintage blades.
    Now I would say, stock up on your favorite current blade for one reason. Cost.
    The cost of vintage is going through the roof because everyone wants to try them.
    Supply and Demand. Where you think you can get a good deal (no more than 50% increase in price of a run of the mill blade on a per blade basis) then you might want to pull the trigger. Anything higher, let it go and see what else comes up.
    Example: 40 cents per blade for Vintage Personna Blades (not 74s obviously) are a breakpoint because I can get a blade that is roughly 80% as good for 20 cents per blade for modern blades.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Super Blues are not stainless steel (they were coated with Silicone) and have a greater chance of developing micro-corrosion from oxidation that will cause irregularities on the edge resulting in a less than smooth shave. If you get some that have retained their wrapping and are more sealed from the ambient air, you stand a chance of getting a real good shave since the blade has not oxidized.

12. Hah, I shoulda known it was you even before looking at who posted such a crazy thing! Aren't you forgetting the true secret to those blades........the Derby 'System' of course. I believe for them to work on a magical way, the Derby shaving cream is needed to unlock this mystical transformation.

That's pretty much it isn't it buddy?

Sounds a little dodgy to me....

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nope, nuff said about all that. Never doubt the power of the hone, though. ;)

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Dodgy!!! You say! One day that case of Derby's menthol and my 1000 blades(more if you count my two boxes of half blades!) will be in demand on every shaving web site. Only if they came out with an aftershave and a cologne! A Total Shaving System! (and a half!)

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Sorry to say nay, but I'm one of the people who have never enjoyed a vintage blade. I think it is anything carbon really. If I had a hone I'd maybe give it a go but I don't and every attempt has been like plucking the hairs instead of cutting the pull has been so bad. I only have a few rainy day blades left and 30 some odd original Gillette 3 hole blades that I've never tried.

I am really glad that you guys above me exist because it would really suck if all those old blades didn't have people to love them. :)

16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Big fan of the vintage blades, especially the made in England Wilkinson Swords. Here's a few that I've stockpiled.
    $5 at an antique store
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$2 at Goodwill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Hi there,

I may be wrong, but I think you may be mistaking what we're talking about here. These are stainless steel blades made from the mid-late 1960s and on. Some are coated and some aren't.

The reason I say that is because some of these old blades are pretty darn sharp. Some are right between an Iridium and a Feather if that helps, and I can't imagine em pulling the way you described. The Personna74 especially comes to mind, especially the injector blades.

I use a sharp blade/mild razor combo for the perfect shave set up and I can tell you there's some blades made 30-40 years ago that are extremely sharp and smooth and forgiving.

Maybe you just didn't sample the right ones.....who knows,

Martin

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think you can find my more detailed answer here.

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I must have missed it Martin. I thought you guys were talking about the Gillette blues with Gillette's face on the package. The black ones with the blue writing. Those things kill me. I haven't tried any from the 60's I don't believe.

These and Marlins and Stars, etc....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but how can you tell if you are buying a Personna 74 blade. I just saw 3 packs of 10 for $5.64. I do not see 74 on the packaging in the photo.