Question about Wartime DE razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Nov 1, 2017.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

On impulse, I bought a Contract Tech from eBay which is on its way. It's one of the wartime versions with a blacked-out cap and handle and an 'S'-baseplate. Like most WWII razors I've seen, the cap is missing a lot of the black as is the handle.

Does anybody know what they would have originally been coated with? Is it a coating that is easily replaced or would I be better off looking at something like Gunkote if I really want the blacked-out look.

Thanks...

Douglas Carey and Terry Williams like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There was another thread that mentioned this. It seems like the black was painted on. I plan on restoring one I have in which the cap needs to be re-done. My way is going to be by removing the old paint, scuffing it some, prime with etching primer then using a semi-gloss or satin black epoxy paint.

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

It sounds like mine is in the same shape as yours. From what I understand the finish is black paint with a lacquer finish. Most, if not all, end up looking like this. I haven't done yet, but I think that Gunkote would be a great re-finish option. Probably would never dull or gray.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

I’ve been in the Army. Not in WWII but knowing what they spend money on, I would have guessed black matte paint. Back in those days any facial camouflage was black soot maybe with a little oil in it.

Nothing fancy like gunkote or blueing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Williams likes this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Great razor. I would recommend gunkote or sending it off to Delta echo razor works to be done.