Questions about shaving against the grain?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by venom0706, May 1, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I have noticed that I can't get a close shave if I don't shave against the grain (with a cartridge). So every time I shave against the grain. However, I have a couple of questions.

First, do I have to first make a pass with the grain and then against the grain for a better shave? I shave directly against the grain in one pass. Does this make my blades dull faster and will shaving in two passes make the blade last longer?

Second, is shaving every day equal to shaving every two days? What I mean is, will the razor blades last long if I shave less hair every day than more hair every two days? This still relates to cartridges and shaving directly against the grain.

And third, how can I achieve a close shave, without shaving against the grain? Does this depend on the type of person and his/her facial hair? When I shave with the grain, I get a close shave, however hair can still be seen on my face to the extenct of my face being "black", instead of being "grey" which I get when I shave against the grain and get a closer shave?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I am really curious about some aspects of shaving and want to have more knowledge on them. Thank you and much appreciated.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

1 - Most folks make two passes before a pass against the grain; first with the grain, second across the grain, and a final against the grain.

2 - From this and other posts you've made, it sounds like your overly concerned about blade life. Forget it; don't over-think it. Just enjoy the shave. Change the blades with your face tells you that the blades are starting to tug and pull. Stop worrying about how long a blade is gonna last.

3 - I, for one, do not believe that one day's growth is going to make a difference to the blade over two day's growth. The razor is still cutting the hair near the base of the whisker if the whisker is 1mm long or 5mm long. (just throwin' numbers out there to make my point)

4 - I cannot get as close as I want without shaving against the grain. If I want near BBS, I gotta go ATG.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I agree with what Steve said but I'll throw out one more thing. If you can get a good shave going just making one pass against the grain, you could do that. I can't do it though. The growth is too heavy and reducing it with a with the grain pass, then maybe an across the grain pass thins things out and makes going against the grain easier.

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

My stubble lies very close to the skin so a wtg pass is pretty much a waste of time for me. So I do an xtg pass and an atg pass with a little touch up and am good to go. A single atg pass isn't quite enough for me but it works for you, Great.