Quick & easy lather

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by OldSaw, Nov 3, 2007.

1. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I occasionally see newbies asking how to make lather with soap, especially after they have only used creams. It seems like they are confused by the process because it is different than cream.

I never used creams until finding the forums, so I'll give my quick & easy approach to making lather with soap. There are some nice posts with long winded explanations and plenty of pictures, but I have found the easiest way is to simply plunge the mug with soap into a sink of hot water and let it soak for little bit to warm up. Then lift it out and start swirling your brush on top of the soap. Pour off the excess water as the lather builds. Keep swirling until the lather is a little softer than whipped cream. Now apply to face with brush and enjoy your shave.

2. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

I ran across this recently, and it completely revolutionized my "troubled relationship" with Kent/MWF. I'd been really struggling to get lather out of it, using all the usual tricks (a little water on top, swirl a lot then swirl even more, pump the brush, you name it); all of those work--many wonderfully well--on many of my soaps, but I just could NOT get Kent/MWF to work. Until I tried your idea, Dennis. (OK, I actually didn't have the mug sit *in* the sink the whole time, but I did dunk it really well, and had a ton of water sitting on/around the soap.) Absolutely wonderful shaves two days in a row, using fairly different brushes (BK4 and Rooney 3/1). I'd recommend this idea wholeheartedly to anyone struggling to lather a soap that's "supposed" to lather well. Thanks!

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh, wow. I can't believe this thread didn't get a single reply till now. That's awful! :ashamed001

Thanks for sharing this tip with us all, Dennis!