Razor blade in hot water for a better shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by arizona dreams, Mar 31, 2011.

1. And I 'ear blown this thing a bit' quirky, and at first I thought it was a joke ... It seems that before each shave, you should keep the blade in turn, inserted into the razor, soak in hot water (hot, not boiling) for about 5 minutes. All this to have a shave more 'effective with less irritation and cuts. The answer is partly scientific. In this case a sharp razor blade 8in), accumulate surface tensions (which are the stresses due to the fact that the atoms must be aggregated into a solid material). Some foundry processes are to put the pieces straight out of casting in a ''calm'', or to a temperature of about 120 ° to reduce these tensions. Wipe the bowl back when you heat the blade set aside some of these tensions (which are the forces). Have you ever tried this technique?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have heard of this before, but I have no evidence that it is helpful or not. It cannot hurt to try. Go ahead and try it and let us know what you find out.

3. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I usually soak my razor in the sink as it fills with hot water. I don't time it, but the main reason is I don't like the feel of cold steel on my face. Too much contrast of warm lather then cold steel. Most of my shaves are very comfortable. Just not sure if it's because of the blades I use or the fact that they get the chill taken off of them.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never soaked my razor or blade. Before every swipe it's a quick swish in the hot water that's in the sink is all I do.

5. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

generally fill skutlle with boiling water put razor in skuttle while I go shower

6. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Just saw this thread today, so sorry for the tardy remark. Funny thing because today I was beginning to do just that, put the razor in with my brush to soak and get warm during my shower, then I got scared and took the razor out because I was afraid that the blade itself may actually start to rust. I've actually read a post where a person shaved one time with an off brand name of blade and it rusted after one shave. What I normally do is fill the sink with the hottest water I can get and dip my razor head into the water for a few seconds and that seems to do the trick. I still may try the soaking thing because I have plenty of blades and can afford to lose one if it rusted on me.

7. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Put the whole razor ej89l taken apart in 90% alc after each use ,so wouldnt worry about soaking blade in hot water before shave

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If it wasn't rusty before the shower, it won't be rusty after the shower. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it takes longer than 15-20 minutes for rust to develop to a degree that it would affect the shave.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

From someone who knows enough of the science to be dangerous.

In industry, the process referred to is post weld or post fabrication heat treating. The processes done to metals which require this are far beyond what you could do shaving (without a really bad accident anyway). Also, the temperatures used are in my experience at least 200°F, again this depends on the metal. So, I find it highly unlikely this will work, but given the delicate nature of a blade edge and the general principal being correct I won't totally discount it either - let us know how it works if you try it. Might also try different blades to account for different metallurgy.

On the rust, it depends on the metal and the water (oxygen and dissolved minerals). Modern stainless blades with and typical municipal or potable well water shouldn't create a problem this fast, but I'm no metallurgist so that's just an educated guess.

10. I tried this treatment on my skin, and I must say that something 's gonna change, this' sure! The blade seems to run better on your skin, I assure you that a razor blade Tiger before and after putting her in water, the difference is there 'and feel .... can 'be the impression of the moment, but'will continue 'to put my blade in hot water, this' safe!

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Hot Pot

I use a Hot Pot and have one mug available to put boiling water into. (The other mug is heated with hot water and emptied to create hot lather.) After a minute sitting it has cooled down to where I put my razor in, swish to remove gunk between major strokes of the blade, and rinse the razor with cool water. This allows me to have a clean blade for each stroke making shaving easier. The mug retains the heat so that water is effective throughout a three pass shave plus head shaving. It makes blade clean up easier by swishing the razor in the still somewhat hot water and soaking in alcohol for 10 seconds and shake dry.

12. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

In the end, the results are in the skin. I do a cold water shave in the hot summer months. If I'm indoors with Air Conditioning, then I don't see the need for a cold water shave & just go ahead & use hot water. If I'm camping, I use cold water when out in the heat. I figure, even after a shower, it'll be hot, so I'll be sweating once again, and HAVE been sweating, so the whiskers are soft enough to be shaved with a cold water go-round.

13. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

I have tried both ways and it seems that either way the shave is the same. I do know that the brush and the whiskers are what need the warm soakin.

14. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth New Member

I set my razor in a cut of hot water once (I really hadn't thought about how hot it was-- it was damn near boiling). When I brought the blade to my face I jumped due to the heat and nearly sliced myself. :eek:

It was only in the water for ~30 seconds and was REALLY hot. I doubt you would need 5 mins; the blade doesn't have much mass so its got a low specific heat.

15. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Metal conducts heat, and the time it takes for the razor to become the same temperature as the water is almost instant.

16. In fact ... I wrote not boiling hot. Evidently the water is too hot can result 'to be even worse. I tried and I must say that they have reached good results from shaving. The blade glides over the skin in a uniform and very light ... Of course this can 'be subjective, varying skin leather ...