Razor Blade Index?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ocharlas, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any compiled list of blades that details things like sharpness, durability, etc...? I'm trying to get a sense of what blades work for me. So far Wilkinson Sword and 7 o'clock's are on top, but I'm out of those. I have a bunch of different blades I haven't tried but at this point I'm reaching in blindly. I was just wondering if there was any kind of 1-10 scale or something that gives a good idea as to blade sharpness.
    I've got some

Sharks
    Derby Extra
    Personnas
    Dorco 301
    Lord Super Chrome
    Lord Super Stainless
    Treet Platinum
    Astra Superior Platinum
    Trig Silver Edge
    Elios Inox

I never know what to grab next. I feel like when I shave with a blade that's said to be "more forgiving" I guess much more tugging, but I think I've only heard that about the Dorcos. But I could be way off I don't know.

There's so many types out there it drives me crazy!!!

2. CSL

CSL Member

This is not exactly what you asked for, but the truth is, you really have to just try a bunch of them & figure out which ones work best for you.

Out of the ones you listed, I think Elios is a pretty sharp blade. I get decent shaves with them. That being said, I do well with Derby too, which is considered a mild blade by most.

3. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

when it comes to blades, what ever you like, I may not like. you also have to take in to consideration the razor.

4. ocharlas

BLAMMIT!!! I knew I'd get all you guys coloquial wisdoming out on me! Stupid forums!

just kidding...

How about a harsh and mellow column? That's like...basic stuff no?

5. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

There is only one blade that everyone agrees is the sharpest. That's Feather. But not everyone thinks its Smooth, some say its very rough for them.

6. CSL

CSL Member

Feathers feel scratchy-scrapy to me but they don't cut me up.

Bolzano is the one that nicks me everytime.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Some of it is opinion, but I'll give you my impression of how sharp each blade I've tried is.

Sharks - Moderate
    Derby Extra - Very mild
    Personnas - Moderate
    Dorco 301 - a touch toward the mild side
    Lord Super Chrome - Well above average
    Lord Super Stainless - Well above average
    Treet Platinum - Moderate
    Astra Superior Platinum - Well above average
    Trig Silver Edge - Moderate
    Elios Inox - Haven't tried these

I'd also add, there is more to a blade than just sharpness. And some blades work well in some razors and not others.

8. ocharlas

Thanks Erik! I seem to hear a lot about how great Derby Extras are in a Parker 91R (which I guess is a very aggressive razor), but I feel like they're not really doing the job they should - maybe something more like a personna?

What would you consider 7 oclocks and Wilkinson Classics to be? Above average?

9. CraigarTA

CraigarTA Member

Its not just the blades. But what razor there in as well.
    Put a Feather in a really old open comb and then one in something like a 40's style Superspeed and they feel nothing alike

As for me Derby's are horrible in a super adjustable but great in my superspeed

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

The Perma-Sharp Supers from Turkey are an extremly sharp blade thats I believe is a little smoother than a Feather while being close to the sharpness, although a little pricey. The 7o'clock, Sharp-edge in the yellow packs are a high price high-end sharp blade similar to Perma-Sharp Supers. Crackstar-Jeff I believe called Sputniks the Russian Feather. Astra SP's are almost as sharp as the Perma-Sharp type but alot less costly.. The Rapiras seem to be getting alot of "play" these days...Not for being as sharp as a Feather but for the over-all shave ..And Stingraysrock-Jeff has had rave reviews for the Rapiras especially the Voskhods...I personally think the Rapira Super Stainless is a great balance of Sharp, smooth, and longevity..And I know for awhile Crackstar-Jeff was raving about the Rapira Stainless' too, for being a great balance of sharp vs mild, aswell as good longevity...The Derbys With the Horizontal print on the pack, were almost legendary for giving very forgiving and consistant shaves in aggressive razors, but definatly known for their smoothness...

And its not a cop-out or being overly razor philosopical, when we say YMMV...is more prevalent with blade choices than probably any other single aspect of TWS...What one person loves, another hates...no kidding...All seem to agree that Feathers are the sharpest put most people don't want the sharpest, its more of a balance of sharpness, smoothness, longevity, price, etc, etc...and no kidding the razor used really does make a BIG differance in how a blade feels and performs...

Sometime reading the SOS threads is time well spent, for seeing what combinations our fellow Den-Mates seem to like or don't like..;))

After reseaching, I'm sure you'll have enough insight to go to the Shave Den Store and put together a very nice blade sampler for yourself of the blades you don't have, and take notes and let us know what you think...

PS: I quoted the two Jeffs-stingraysrock, and The Crackstar, liberally in this post, as I hold their opinions in such high-esteem...I apoligize to both of them, for my rampant plagerizing...;)) I usually plagerize Bill aswell, I guess I'm getting better...Let us know if either of you guys have changed your opinions of these blades since...

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just don't think it's going to happen. This is one of those things that is just way toooooooo much YMMV.

Why don't you start a "What's your favorite blade?" thread, tally up the answers, then go from there? :rolleyes:

12. ocharlas

aaaaaaaaaaaannndd....DONE!

thanks steve!

13. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

14. ocharlas

thanks shaveslave! that's a great list...lots of good information there.