Razor Boring Details

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jar, May 25, 2017.

1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I imagine that all this is readily available somewhere out there but being old and slow I could not find it so I threw together a database with basic specs for the typical razors I own and have used over the decades. Where I have multiple examples of a style I only included one typical example. It's somewhat incomplete and if folk would post similar information for other models I will update the table periodically.

If this is something everyone already has, well then simply attribute it to someone who is lacking google-foo.

[​IMG]

Kokak, jimjo1031, oldtech and 6 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I saved a copy of the data! Thank you for gathering the information.

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you look at my broken handle thread, there's some measurements in there for the OLD. I'll get better information.

One thing I've noticed - people don't get granular with it. Weight for handle tube, thread knob, base knob, entire handle, anvil, cap, etc.

They just go "it weighs this much."

4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yup. Also I wish I could come up with a reasonable "balance point" relevance measurement but I imagine that would really depend on how the person holds the razor and uses it.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks for doing this.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I find the numbers interesting, so it is much appreciated. One thing I'm curious about is that modern razors seem to weigh more than the vintage.

7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

That was particularly obvious with the comparison of the Gillette postwar fat handle Gold Tech and the Merkur 34C. They are very similar razors is most other ways than weight.

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

What's really interesting is that Zinc and Brass are right next to each other in atomic weight, so you can't even look at the alloy. (My father looked that up while trying to determine the material in a handle)

9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Something I can understand. I like it.

10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Keep boring us! I love facts that I will never use in my day-to-day life!

11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I just realized I left sever razors out...they were in the guest bathroom. I'll try to add them in next week.

dustmite likes this.
  12. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Updated to add a couple more older Gillettes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    jimjo1031, GarnerPW and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  14. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

It's a surprise to learn that the EJ DE89lbl has a thicker shaft than the 34 HD. Thanks for the data.

15. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Latest version:

[​IMG]

FranklinFurter and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Updated and sorted by type and maker. Added a SS Flare and the metal end Krona.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    FranklinFurter likes this.