Razor Burn - Relief Tips?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by dougkc, Oct 23, 2014.

1. dougkc

dougkc Member

Thanks Bristle.

I think it's just certain oils or fragrances. For example, I've used Musgo Real with no problems. I've also used GFT Coconut with great results.

I've never tried a Proraso product but will do so soon.

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Are you looking at unscented creams because of your reaction to D.R.Harris Lavender? It may only be the Lavender to which you react. Or, it may be something in the base D.R.Harris formula in which case another Lavender should be fine. Have you tried other scented creams?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I advocate for this...I am a cool water guy.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1 on Proraso ...solid mass market soap.

5. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Making sure your lather is good enough. Making sure your prep is good enough. Don't chase the BBS cat. Just do what is good enough for you and is comfortable. I can get 98% of the hair off my face and still have a comfortable, fantastic shave. The second I try to go for those other 2% for an event or family get together, my face gets ripped to pieces and it's not worth it. Cold water helps a ton. Using the Marco Method for brush loading makes a huge difference. Pre-shave creams/oils don't do anything for me.

I also don't use normal A/S splash. I use a Witch Hazel plus pure Aloe splash.

Jasio78 and dougkc like this.
  6. dougkc

dougkc Member

Thanks GK. Things have been great on the irritation front. I've been using KMF unscented, finishing off with WH, Barbasol Pacific Rush and Nivea Unscented balm. I've also gone back to the basics and really paying attention to my blade angle and pressure. I think the combination is helping.

I agree with not chasing the BBS. It usually gets me in trouble on the jaw line.

7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

For sure man. Keep it up. I go perfect on WTG and ATG, then the second I try to be overconfident on XTG on my neck, it literally all goes down the drain. Don't let it go down the drain. A little bit of hair is probably better than alot of blood.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I don't generally have an irritated face but when I did it was because the blade was not polished smooth or possibly not even honed right at all. I have not had the problem for a long time now

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It's a shame to waste a soap. If you have a wife or girlfriend, who likes the scent, let her use it for bath soap.

10. numerouno

numerouno Member

Use aloe vera gel after shave. can also use it as pre shave.

11. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

The other day, I couldn't remember if I changed the blade on my SS. I think I accidentally used my Astra SP for a 4th shave. Have me razor burn on my right side chin and neck.

You know what worked like a charm for razor burn relief? Banana Boat Aloe Vera lotion. We had that in a drawer from last summer's beach trip. I put a dab in the areas that were irritated. Immediate relief. I think I'm gonna keep this stuff around for future rough shaves.