Razor Comparison

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ryan B, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm following the rising trend of cranking my Slim wide open on adjustability. What razor is comparable to a Slim set on 8 or 9?

2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Merkur Futur at "3" or more or less.

battle.munky and feeltheburn like this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I find it similar to my EJ 89dl.

4. Ryan B

I really have no interest in the Futur. The DE89 is a razor I have been eyeing for some time now. The Slim set on 8-9 is a great instrument and delivers some amazing shaves.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The DE89 is quite a bit more mild than a Slim on 8. It feels more like a 4 to me. It's a great razor but if you're looking for something higher on the aggression level, the DE89 isn't. You could shim it and get there though.

If you're really enjoying the Slim, I say stick with it. Maybe pick up another (few) while they're easy to find for fairly cheap and keep them for backups.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I was thinking about a 5 for the 89. 9 is just a bit more gappy IMO.

7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

The new R41 would be close to the Slim on 8 or 9. IMHO

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That was my thought as well. I think the new version of the R41 is a bit smoother than the slim opened up.

When I used to have a slim I would use it on 7. I thought that was roughly equivalent of the Red Tip. Both are pretty mild.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  9. battle.munky

<begin hijack>

.....I reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyyy like my R41 still.

Thought I'd share that yet again. Been more than a year and still pleased.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

<end hijack>

alpla444 and Weeper Warrior like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not sure if you saw it Bob, but there is a slightly tamed new version of the R41. It is just dialed back a touch from the 2011 version, but still provides really close and smooth shaves.

battle.munky likes this.
  11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I think the old school open comb m.p. r89s were roughly equal. I think the modern production Fatip razors are the same as those old r89s.

12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, this got me doing a little research. I found the links below to be interesting. The EJ89dl is between a 4 and 5 on a Slim setting based on blade gap, but the EJ89dl is a heavier razor, which is claimed to contribute to aggressiveness also. The R41 doesn't appear to be on the list though, so it's not easy to see the comparison. This doesn't address open comb vs closed comb either.
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Head_Weight
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Weight

13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

EJ 89L is about like a Slim or Fatboy on 2! It's so mild I can't shave with it unless I want to do about 5 passes - not much more aggressive than a Weishi... but that is just my humble little ole opinion...

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  14. battle.munky

Blasphemy I tell you!

I'm actually glad. That head design is really cool so I think it is good they dialed it back more so more folks can enjoy it.

15. Ryan B

That's how I feel with my Techs. I guess the only way those would work is if I used an aggressive razor one day then a Tech the rest of the days behind that.