Razor ID please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Can anyone tell me what the black handled razor is? Just paid $5 for it at an antique shop, but have no clue what it is. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Gillette Super Adjustable. They were made in 2 different handle lengths. 3.5" and a longer one. Nice razors. ;)

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

My favorite razor has a handle as long as this one. Hope this one shaves as well as it does. Thanks, Chris!!

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Michael,
    Did you check the date code? Looks like it is somewhere in the 69-70 neighborhood. The later versions of this razor had an underside of plastic, prone to cracking. Looks like you got a good one at a great price! :D

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

O1. 1969. Plastic handle, but the head and adjusting mechanism are metal. Used it this morning and, while the required angle differs from what I'm used to, I got a great shave!! Thanks.

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Looks like a standard head like the slim, any closeups?

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

No, but I can take some if you insist. :D

Attached Files:

8. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

Gillette Adjustable Black Handle 1969 - first quarter.

Regards,
    Alfred

9. Hi Michael,
    I'm kinda familiar with that type of razor. I've used both the long and short handle versions and found em quite nice shavers. I first used the longer handled one when just switching from injectors, and the extra length made things easier for me at the time. Now I'd be more comfortable using the shorter version, and I'd recommend either of em to anyone. The head's got some weight to it, and it's nice having the adjustable feature. The short handled version would be something that would interest those 'slim' fans, since there's some similarities. Both nice shavers though.
    Anyway, just my take on things,
    Martin

Oh.....actually the handle's metal with some sorta black coating I believe.