Razor Rack & More

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by swarden43, Nov 20, 2010.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Finally got around to putting up a razor rack. Just a piece of 1 x 6, stained, then a couple coats of poly. There's enough room for 12 more sets of L hooks.
    Also a couple of shots of my little corner of the world. I keep all my soaps in the linen closet in another room.

Attached Files:

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice..., love seeing the SE stuff in there too.:happy096

3. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

SWEET!

4. snowbird72

snowbird72 New Member

Looks great! Very nice collection. I definately have some catching up to do.

How many of those razors would you typically use? Are there different razors for different occasions?

5. swarden43

Thanks.

I use 'em all. I'll usually grab what ever I fancy that morning. No hard-set rotation like I have with my soaps and brushes. The only fast rules I do follow are:

I use a different DE every day Monday thru Friday. I use the same blade, fresh on Monday, swap it to the next razor every day, then toss it after Friday's shave.

Saturdays I use a str8 (those are up in my office for safety).

Every Sunday gets a different SE.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice. Thanks for sharing Steve!

7. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Very nice!

In the second photo, there is rack on the counter top holding 4 razors. I've been looking for something like that. Where did you find it? Is is meant for razors?

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Looks great Steve! It's pretty cool how a little effort and raw materials can get you a very utilitarian item that just doesn't seem to exist anywhere else. Good job Sir!:happy096

9. swarden43

Thanks.

It's a toothbrush holder we picked up at Target, I believe.

10. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Awesome wall racks Steve! I just bought a few bags of brass square hooks to hang my razors. They work very well. I find they don't hold se's as well though in general.

Quite the shave den you have yourself there.

11. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Very nice, Great idea.
    Thanks for the share.

12. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

:happy096 Great Den Steve

13. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Wow Steve, what a great looking display...

Congratulations...

14. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Looks great! Thanks for posting

15. howlwolf

howlwolf Member

Thank you

Thank you for sharing your space. Got to say, very impressive and I respect such a collection. TSD continues to open and blow my mind at the same time. You are one who really appreciates and I'm sure relaxes to a complete shave. Oh the choices you have, I can only imagine the soaps and creams that complement as well.

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

Very nice.

17. Talltexan

Talltexan New Member

Steve,

What a neat setup! I am new to DE shaving and love it! I have a Parker razor and two Art of Shaving badger brushes. I use that with Odegella Bay Rum soap or Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream. I am expecting a Parker Silvertip brush and stand along with a few samples from the TSD. And one soap bay rum and lime from pirates cove.

My question is, If I wanted to buy another razor, what should I look for? Size, price, brand etc? Also, how could I try using a straight razor? I'd like to try it but unsure how to go about it. Is it safe? What is a good shave cream or soap to use? Thank you for your time!

Best,
    Jerry

18. swarden43

Hi Jerry,

Sorry I missed your post.

Thanks for the compliments.

As for what razor to get, buy the one that catches your eye. You won't use what you don't like the looks of. Check out the SOS threads and see what others are using. They use what they like. Maybe it'll work for you, as well. If you use it then don't like it, sell it here at the Den. If you do like, the fun begins of what to get next!

Good soaps? I really like JoAnna's TSD soaps. Great stuff at a great price. Can't say that I've tried her creams. Again, see what others are using. Also read up in the reviews (link at top of TSD page).

Are str8s safe? Hey, it's what our great, great grandaddies used, and their grandaddies before them. I'm not a pro with one, but I've never given myself any major cuts. Watch the videos and go slow. If they could do it, so can you!

19. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Your soap and creams should be ok for awhile. I recommend just looking in the reviews and SOS as Steve said.

For some technique and general advice check to Mark's vids. He has helped me and given me valuable knowledge.
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161

As for a new razor. There are so many options. But the first thing should be vintage or new? I would say check the ebayss for some cheap razors or if you want pick up one of the razors in that thread.
    This thread is wonderful about some cheap beginner razors.
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17288

20. Talltexan

Talltexan New Member