Razor recommendation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Turk, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    I have a friend at work who went to Art of Shaving and had the Royal shave. He enjoyed it very much and would like to pursue the Safety Razor path. I have found that many of us start out as I did with the Merkur HD34c however the handle on the 34c is rather small. Is there a good razor out there that won't break the bank with a longer handle that anyone can recommend?

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The 38c is the longer handled and heavier version of the 34c. There are lots of other options out there too though. The Merkur 23c (aka 180) has a longer handle and long-handled Gillette Super Adjustables are another option.

Peter Allen likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I think the Merkur 37c or 180 are basically the same head with a long handle...The EJ89 is also a really good choice with a great shave head and longer handle at an affordable price...:)

Add the 38c to this list....there is actually quite a few quality affordable 2 & 3 piece razors out there:
    Sabi,Cadet and Lord to name a few....:)

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I started with the 34C, as well. Absolutely love it. I'm with Brian - 38C.

5. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

38c sounds like a good choice for him. My current 34c is my daily use razor and its a workhorse. Wouldn't part with it.

Peter Allen likes this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

A vintage Schick Krona has a long handle and can be found cheaply and will outlast a new Merkur.

7. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I have quite a few razors...the 38C was my first DE and still my go to!

Peter Allen likes this.
  8. swarden43

Proof? Just askin'.

9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Merkur's are made from potmetal. There is no way a brittle potmetal razor is going to be as durable as a brass razor. Other than the fact that they are made from zinc rather than brass as the old time razors were there are tons of reports of Merkurs having flaking plating. I for one never dealt with the plating because after owning it a few months my Merkur 1904's screw broke off the topplate and became stuck inside the pole after dropping it in my sink.

I currently own an Edwin Jagger which is also made of inferior potmetal. I only kept it because its performance is better than my superspeed's and because EJ actually honors their warranty. EJ's warranty by the way is lifetime while Merkur's is 10 years but good luck getting them to honor it.

I suggest for a new wetshaver to get a vintage razor or EJ or if they have deep enough pockets a modern stainless steel razor.

swarden43 likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you want to go vintage, a Gillette Star is a good starter with a long handle.

11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I have a 38C but wish I had purchased the 34C. Really don't like the long handle.

12. Dennis Fish

Dennis Fish New Member

Drop both as see which one breaks the head. No more pot metal (EJ, Merkur, Muhle) for me.

13. Dennis Fish

Dennis Fish New Member

A new guy can't go wrong with a Krona if you want a long handle.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The only razor I have that's listed here is the Krona. I love it more than Techs or Super speeds. I have a Weber Bulldog on the way and will let you guys know how that is.

15. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

There are a lot of folks who put down the newer safety razors due to the fact that many of them are not made of brass or stainless steel, but I have had a brass razor break after only a few months of use and I have dropped and banged my Edwin Jagger countless times with zero ill effects. Anything can break, but if cared for properly even a razor made from Zamak can last a lifetime. Let's not forget that there are varying levels of quality to brass, stainless steel, and Zamak...just because a razor is made of brass does not mean it is made out of good quality brass.

With that said, for a longer handled razor I would highly recommend either a Lord L6 or RiMei for a low cost razor, and a Gillette Slim or any of the long handled Merkurs for a midrange razor.

178-bplatoon and swarden43 like this.
  16. Dennis Fish

Dennis Fish New Member

Until I have my Weber bulldog or a gillette or Krona break, I am not going back to pot metal. It will have to be the Weber that breaks as I seldom use anything else.

17. swarden43

Haven't dropped a razor yet. Emphasis on the YET.

18. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

I say, start inexpensive and then upgrade, because its inevitable...it'll happen. I have the RazoRock 3pc and I enjoy it a lot; actually prefer it to the vintage adjustable I also have. RR's can be had for less than a $20 bill...sans shipping of course.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. Nolimit

Nolimit Member

Please indulge a rather novice de wet shaver. What would be the most affordable mass produced safety razor made from stainless steel be? Also what would be the best received.

Cheers thanks for the insight.

20. Dennis Fish

Dennis Fish New Member

Weber, half the cost of the next one. A third the cost of others. Seems well loved.

fram773 likes this.