Razor Replating Recommendation Needed!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sunflake, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I have a Fatboy that is just starting to show small areas of brass, I would like to get it replated. But have no idea who to send it to. Thinking of Rhodium or bright nickel. Anybody had one done in Rhodium would love to see pics of their work. The only one I know of is from the UK.

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Google for Reliable Electroplating in Chartley, Massachusetts. They are the most recommended for U.S. razor replaters. Don't email them because for some reason they don't answer emails. Instead, get the phone number from their web site and call them. Ask to speak to Dale. He will give you prices and info on how to send them the razor(s), etc. I've used them several times. They do very good work.

3. Sunflake

Jody, what's the turnaround time? Are they reasonable on price?

4. IAmTheJody

I had a gold 1934 USA Aristocrat done in rhodium. Total cost was $60.00 of which $5.00 of that was my Priority Mail shipping to them and $10.00 of that is their return shipping because they only use UPS. If you have more than one razor to be replated, it's better because you and they can ship 4, 5 razors for the same shipping cost.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Turnaround time for Reliable is 3-4 weeks. If you want to see the Fatty in rhodium you might scroll through the archive of Leisureguys shaving blog, he had many razors plated in rhodium maybe a Fatboy among them, his plating was through Razor Emporium though.

6. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I've had Razor Emporium do three Fatboys in rhodium. I've since sold them all off, but they sure looked nice! About 6 week turnaround (a little longer for one of the three)

7. IAmTheJody

Just know Razor Emporium's rhodium plating is $79 plus your shipping to them versus Reliable's $60 total.

8. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I'd like to get a couple of razors replated. I also would love to get one of my unplated Juniors rhodium plated.
    I think my bullet tip MM would be sweet in rhodium. Maybe even my Merkur slant.
    I have to wait until after I move.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. Sunflake

Do all replates take 1-2 months? That sounds like a extremely long time to plate a razor. But never had one done before. Maybe if I had another DE razor but, this is my only one and that would be along time without one!!!!! HELP:angry017: LOL.

10. IAmTheJody

You have to understand that the precious metals are expensive and they aren't going to waste it just to plate 1 razor. Usually what they do is plate several at a time, from different owners. Sometimes this takes time to get enough razors for them to plate in a batch. And this time can take a month or 2 before they feel they have enough to plate at one time.

11. Sunflake

That makes sense, but that's still a long time without a razor. Thanks Jody. I guess any thing worth doing well is worth the wait.

12. IAmTheJody

Exactly. Good things come to those that wait... Patience is a virtue... Et cetera, et cetera, etc. When you receive it back all shiny and new you won't even remember you were without it for a while. :)

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder....meaning you'll only be happier when that new looking razor makes the scene....:)

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I've been told the rhodium looks nice but does not hold up as well as say nickel. Any truth to that?

And while we have the plating experts on here, can and old Schick G1 be related?

15. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Besides, if you don't do anything for 1-2 months you'll say "Gee, I should've sent this in a couple of months ago".

16. IAmTheJody

Rhodium is harder than nickel so while I'm no metallurgist... But just a note that when they replate in rhodium, the first coat it gets is nickel. Then the second coat is the rhodium. So I think it'll hold up far beyond my lifetime.

And yes, you can get the metal parts of a G1 replated. the neck and head, etc. I don't think I've known anyone to do it but since the old Schicks aren't made of pot metal, they can be replated.

17. Dipesh

Dipesh Member

If you don't mind sending to the UK, Dave @ Restored Razors is very good.

I've used him twice now and been pleased with his work.

18. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of doing this for a couple of months now. I have a '58 Fatboy and a '65 Slim that are in need. The Slim has sentimental value, but also looks like the guard is bent (e.g., there is a variance in distance between the cap and guard as you look left to right).

It's important to me that it is thoroughly cleaned, restored, and replated by someone who knows what they are doing. For that reason I don't want to just send it off to a general purpose shop that re-dips my razor in between chroming bike parts.

19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Wow! A rhodium I2 would be killer looking....:) Not practical....but Killer....

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. Sunflake

Jody, spoke with Dale with Reliable Electroplating today he explained that after the razor is stripped and prepped it first gets a coat of copper, then nickel then a thin coat of Rhodium. Thanks for the recommendation.

IAmTheJody and GDCarrington like this.