Razor replating

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dansco, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Purely from what I have observed on ebay, I get the impression collectors are not that bothered about re-plated razors and would prefer even good condition original plating (I imagine this is the same with collectors of everything old).

I have also noticed that many sellers state the cost of the re-plate, which is often equal to or considerably more than the general re sale value range of that type of razor. They seem to have a 'ceiling price' of sorts.

Having recently bought a couple of razors which I intend to use, I had considered choosing my favourite(s) and re plating if necessary. I had bought with the intention of re selling if I wasn't happy with them but have not come across that situation yet :)

So out of interest I'm looking for a general feeling among those with more experience than I - is re plating worth it, or maybe just in some specific situations? Not really asking for advice, per se, as if I fall in love with any of mine and decide I want them forever I will probably cover them in shiny new rhodium anyway!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

To me replating should help sale price but for a true collector I think it sould/would hurt that. I am facing the same delimma, I have a beater aristocrat that is my favorite razor (Haven't tried the 66 yet) and and finding one thats pristine can be prohibitively expensive but replate is also expensive.

I doubt Ill ever take an older crat out of my rotation so replate may be in the works down the road when I can afford it. I blew my budget with the 66 but I'm super excited to have picked one up. Maybe my wife will send my beater out as a gift for me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Dansco likes this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

So basically re plating is mostly done by people who have razors they want to keep, as opposed to those they would like to re sell.

I have no razors which could even conceivably break even when sold following a replate. The cost to re plate is higher than what I paid for the razors!

Keithmax likes this.
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Probably a fair assumption. Of course, there are always those on eBay who replate razors hoping to get more for them.

Over on B&B, there is a "brotherhood" whose name embodies a lot of my feelings on the subject- "Plating Is Overrated". :)

Dansco likes this.
  5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Replating makes for some beautiful razors when done right but if you want a replated razor why not buy a beater and send it out yourself. Why pay a price of a nice razor plus the price to replate and "surcharge".

I think those that have more money than sense dont realize there are places like razorplate et al that specialize in replating.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Dansco likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have a number of experienced (banged up) razors in rotation, but sometimes it is nice to use a pretty shiny one too.

7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I don't understand why a replated razor would be an issue, as long as it is stated said razor is replated, if it is for sale. Don't car enthusiasts restore cars, and then sometimes sell them ? If something is so valued it should be taken care of. Sure , a razor is a tool, but take care if your tools. Clean it periodically, dunk it in alcohol, replate it. So no, replating is not an issue, but as with everything else, opinions will differ. As always YMMV.

Herm2502, Jorvaljr and Dansco like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

You bring up an interesting point by mentioning car enthusiasts. In automotive collector circles, there is the concept of a "survivor car". I'm having trouble finding a concise definition, but the gist is a car which is almost totally original, never been repainted or reupholstered, and is usually one-owner. A razor analogy would probably be a Fatboy with some brassing, but also with its original case.

If you watch enough of the Velocity Channel, you see the whole realm of the spectrum.

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Replating use to be a very viable option for the person who picked up a $5 dollar razor in awful shape instead of buying the $100 near mint option. But the problem now is, the replating services have surpassed that. You can find a near mint version cheaper than what it would cost you to replate in some cases. The services have become too costly in my book. But in the end some people are very comfortable with paying the money to have a great razor made new again.

Dansco likes this.
  10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I remember a replating debate on TSD years back that got pretty heated. On one side you had collectors who were arguing a replated razor should be marked somehow to show it is not New Old Stock. On the other side were folks who wanted shiny new razors who didn't like being told what to do. The big issue was sellers who were not disclosing that a vintage razor was replated. Sounds like the cost of replating went up and created an economic solution to the problem. But collectors do care about replating.

Dansco, BigMark83 and Jorvaljr like this.
  11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yeah I've seen two recently that suggested that.

There's a re-plated superspeed I saw on ebay a little while ago. The description said the replate cost £50, BIN of £55. Seemed to be above the 'ceiling price' as it was on for a while.

A Fatboy finished yesterday. They seem to go for £50-60 over here. Assuming the replate then cost 50 more, the asking price of £114 would then be reasonable for a mint condition. No bids. I have seen Fatboys go for a high price - but never more than about £90.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've seen some sellers who sell about everything replated, and get a decent price for most. They buy well worn razors, and send them out in bulk, to whatever plating service they know, and get it done for cheap. This is how they make a profit.

Dansco likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Some people go with the philosophy that "it's only original once" and will not buy a replated razor. I get that. Others just want razors in great condition and are not concerned if it has been replated. Has the razor beeb replated with the same metal, or has it be finished with a different metal. That's another consideration a buyer may have. All of this will factor into the decision of the buyer and how much he's willing to pay.

It seems to me that it is usually cheaper to buy a razor in mint condition than it is to buy it and have it refinished.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would say replating is for keepers. I have done three and do not have plans for more. Those were very special to me. I would not resell them. I wouldn't get my money back.

The first one I had replated was done in bright nickel. It is a NEW short comb with bar handle.
    new12a.jpg

I finally got a New Improved Tuckaway, and I had it done in rhodium.
    Tuckaway_15.jpg

This 46-47 Aristocrat is my birth era razor, and I had it done in gold. I am happy with all my choices.
    IMG_4735.JPG

Herm2502, Norcalnewb, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Those are razors worth replating. :smiley respect::eek::drool:Glorious!!!

I'd have my arms surgically removed and replaced with any one of them

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

All three razors turned out great.

LOOT and Jayaruh like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I bought a beat up Damaskeene OC and decided to have it replated. I enjoy the razor and don't plan on selling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Herm2502, Norcalnewb, Boojum1 and 5 others like this.
  18. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

:drool: :eek: :happy088: :love055:

clint64 likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. ;) Mine was the first Gem style razor Nick had replated. I think it turned out fantastic. It shaved great before I had the work done but I do love the shiny new look and for my purposes replating was worth it.

BaylorGator and Jayaruh like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow! That is a beauty.

clint64 likes this.