Razor thread patterns?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mikewood, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Is there a standard thread pattern/s for safety razors? I think I would like to tinker with a few handle designs and don't want to start by taking a handle to the hardware store and guessing at what might fit.

thanks.

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

10-24?

mikewood likes this.
  3. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Wasn't it 10-32?

mikewood likes this.
  4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

There are two different threads used on Single Edged Razors, but I thought (no direct knowledge) that virtually all of the Double Edged razors were swappable.

mikewood likes this.
  6. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Most of the DE are 10/32, but there are, if I recall correctly, a few that are different. That's from a couple of threads I read somewhere on one of the shaving forums. But most of the modern and vintage DEs use the same thread, or are close enough that they work. You see posts in the SOTD threads and other places with guys interchanging handles between modern and vintage all the time.
    I use my Maggard handle with my vintage Gillettes all the time, and my Fat Handle Tech handle with the Maggard quite frequently as well. Watch some of the John Hallock videos and you will see him do this quite often.

mikewood likes this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I've used an Edwin Jagger head and handle, Fat handle Tech head and handle, and Razorock Jaws head and handle, Old type and New head and handle to create frankenrazors. Old and vintage are the same for DEs in well-known brands.

mikewood likes this.
  8. gwsmallwood

I think that Fatips have something odd about them, but can't remember if it's diameter or length. There are versions of the NEW, both LC and SC, that have narrower openings on the bottom of the head and some handles with wider tops may need a spacing washer or a grinding to fit those.

SRNewb and mikewood like this.
  9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Yeah, The fit and finish on the Fatips is terrible .

mikewood likes this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm getting rusty. I worked in a hardware store for several years. There was a time when I could determine thread dimension and all manner of minutiae like that.

mikewood likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Yea, I know people that can look at a bolt and tell you which socket it is. I never could do that with any degree of accuracy.

12. gwsmallwood

Me neither. I grab the whole socket set just in case.

SRNewb likes this.
  13. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Good luck with the experimenting! :)

14. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

My Maggard MR6 is like that. It does not drop down into the little area under the bottom of the head on my LC NEW. It doesn't stop me from using it, though. It will still tighten up and work, it just looks a little odd. As long as you don't crank it down like the Incredible Hulk(and you shouldn't with any of them), it won't hurt a thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

10/32 American and M5.8 British. They are basically the same size and will interchange, with the British being slightly fatter from what I remember. SE handles use both a 10/32 and on some types like the Gem Damaskeen it's an 8/32 thread I believe. Hope this helps. :)

[Edit] I forgot to add most modern and Gillette DE handles will interchange, I've done it on many razors..:happy088:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    gwsmallwood and mikewood like this.