Recomendation needed on blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hank, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hank

Hank Active Member

Hey folks I need some new blades, the only blades I have ever used in my 15+ years of wet shaving are Derby Extras and Merkurs so I am open to new blade experences.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Voskhod, Lord Platinum, Astra Superior Platinum, Dorco 301, Red Personna, Gillette 7oclock yellows, Feather, there are plenty of others. If you've only used 2 different blades in 15 years then I'd say get a sample pack or go through the review section and just purchase individual packs of the most often recommended blades.

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

two words: Sampler Packs

Blades are the most YMMV part of the traditional wet shave. Take myself and Micah1_8. We have roughly similar beards - thick, course, wirey whiskers that could serve as wire brushes. But we hardly have any favorite blades in common.

There are some fairly common accepted "almost-facts" when it comes to blades - Feathers, while sometime over-blown in their reputation, are indeed generally regarded as the sharpest blades out there.
    Also, Merkurs are generally ranked just barely sharper than a bathtub rubber duckie.

Everything else tends to be up for grabs. Derby's are no good for me, I love the Israeli Red Pack Personnas, Feathers, and Bolzano blades. Sharks, Astra, Black and Yellow pack Gillettes, and Wilkinson Swords are high on my list. Everything else is meh.

The next person who chimes in will disagree with me on every point.

So, what's the solution?

Try as many blades as you can possibly get. Many sites offer sampler packs, and they're almost always very reasonable priced.

Also, when you try a brand of blade, if you have more than one razor, try different combinations. Different blades very often perform differently depending on what razor they're in. I can get a passable shave from a Derby in my Sheraton, but I can't use them in any other razor without regretting it tremendously.

So, sampler packs, with as wide a variety as you possibly can. Different vendors have different blades, so check them all out.

Also, there's plenty good chance that you will be getting lots of offers for you to exchange your mailing address for blades to try, so get ready...in fact, if I wasn't running low on blades, I'd offer some to you to try. In fact, when I get home tonight, I'm going to take a look anyway.

Also, don't overlook local blades, like the Wilkinson Swords at Wal-Mart, they're not bad at all, for me. May be like broken glass to others, but that's the thing with blades, you will never know without trying them ;)

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:sihns011 X10

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Looks like a threat that gets answered perfectly right away. Now we just get a few more posts saying the first reply was spot on. So: the first reply from Jim was spot on.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

FTFY. :D

Oh yeah, spot on too.