Recommend me an open comb razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LGh, Mar 20, 2013.

1. LGh

LGh New Member

Hello guys and gals.

I like my Edwin Jagger DE89 head on top of the fantastic weighty little Weber Bulldog handle, but I find that I am looking for something else. I also have a Gillette Tech (no date code) which gives an extremely mild shave, which makes me think perhaps what I lack is a little bit more aggressiveness. Could anyone here recommend a razor that will give me a little bit more "bite"?

I was thinking an open comb razor, but some make the case that they are mostly for heavily bearded men. I am not one of those, I have quite sparse beard except around my chin. I also have quite sensitive skin.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My favorite is the Gillette Old Type.

LGh and blanka like this.
  3. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

I bought and have been using the Cadet TP-27 OC. Takes a bit of getting used to, but the OC is now my go to razor. Its agressive enough to give a smooth BBS shave everytime, and only cost 20 bucks.

ohpaos, jeraldgordon and LGh like this.
  4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Heard good things about Merkur 25c.

Edit: I meant 25c not 33 heh.

LGh likes this.
  5. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I like my Tuckaway, but they can be a little pricey. You might go with what some others have suggested, either a Cadet variant (if you want a modern razor) or a Gillette Old Type.

alpla444 and LGh like this.
  6. LGh

LGh New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently (according to forum posts Google helped me find), one can order the Cadet open comb head by itself from Shave-a-buck. I don't find it listed now, and $24 plus shipping to EU for the Cadet TP-01SS is probably overkill since I doubt I would use the handle.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I don't think you can get just the OC head anymore from shaveabuck. I bought one(handle and head) and for my face the head is brutal, the handles are pretty nice though....:) I do like a vintage Gillette "NEW" OC that I have. I use the exact same setup as you do (EJ89 mated to a Weber BullDog handle). The combo makes for a "GREAT" razor doesn't it!!! :) So far I haven't found anything that feels as smooth,shaves as close,and is as irritation free for my face....:shaver

FacialCarnage and LGh like this.
  8. LGh

LGh New Member

I just shaved, and for the first time I used Personna Blue med prep blades (they say "For hospital use"). Fantastic shave! I might just go with this setup for a while. It was a more effortless shave and I got as close as I wanted in shorter time than usual, and without getting nicked.

And yes, 178-bplatoon, the Weber/DE89 combination is simply fantastic!

My brother's birthday is coming up and I have bought the complete Weber (looks like a Merkur head, doesn't it?) with Bulldog handle for him, plus a full set of Proraso stuff, and to top it off a Semogue 830 boar brush. I am sure he'll love the Weber, and if he doesn't catch the Proraso bug, then I'll be more than happy to take care of it for him. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Can't go wrong with the Gem Micromatic.

10. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Gillette 'The New' Bar Handle Open Comb
    I thought that they were for people with big beards as well, but I shave daily and like mine better then any of the razors I tried.

youngunn and Heloguy like this.
  11. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

Tradere, can't beat it.

12. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Amen to that. I love mine as well. As a matter of fact, I have been using my slim for about a week now and I think tomorrow I'll bring my new open comb back into the rotation.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  13. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

If you want more aggressive you might try shims on that EJ89. That being said I just got a R41 I love the razor closest shave I've ever had with a DE.

14. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

For OC try a Gillette Old Type or a NEW long comb or short comb.

15. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Another vote for the Gillette New.

[​IMG]

16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Thats what I was going to say.....heh,heh....the original TTO OC

17. Geo

Geo Active Member

I have heard on several occasions the GEM JR. has a bit of "bite: to them

18. supercruiser

supercruiser Member

Another vote for a NEW - Mine is in really REALLY nice shape but I've shaved with it once or twice - I really love it, its got the perfect angle and it feels great in your hands.

[​IMG]

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I'm not sure I've ever seen an open comb Gem Jr. Do you have any pictures? If so I'd like to see it.

20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think I have an open comb Junior Tom. Please educate me if you were thinking of something else. I'm still learning about Gems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jasman likes this.