Red Skin Above the Upper Lip Problems

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by 1gentlemanintraining, Dec 7, 2013.

1. My upper lip is always red. I have just started to wash my face and apply moisturizer every morning and night because of how red and dehydrated the skin is above my upper lip. When I shave, it is really sensitive and usually bleeds. I've never really been taught how to shave growing up, so i am not sure if i am just doing something wrong.

My ritual is to take a warm shower, put some pre-shave lotion on, lather up some shaving soap and apply it with my badger brush, shave with the grain, shave against the grain, and finally apply a little bit bit more of my preshave lotion to the skin above my upper lip (the reason i do this is because it feels like it is just burning and my preshave lotion is proraso, so it is cooling).

I purchased a straight razor thinking that it would teach me to shave the right way. But it just feels like i am pulling my hairs on my chin out (and yes i am holding it at a 30 degree angle, or at least it feels that way). I was thinking my razor is dull and i am having it sent off to get honed (since i really don't know how to do it yet). What are your thoughts on shavettes as a back up when my straight razor is dull?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're doing the right stuff. Maybe you just have very dry skin on your upper lip. Maybe try a balm instead of the Proraso pre-shave after you're done (and maybe even periodically through the day). Nivea sensitive might be a balm to try. You never know, something in the Proraso could actually be irritating your skin even more when it's left on for a long time.

As far as the straight, a good honing by a pro might help. You could also try even less than a 30 degree angle. The lowest angle that cuts whiskers is probably the best and I try to hold at about one spine width or less from my face which is probably more like 20 degrees. Even then on my chin I still have to make scything cuts. straight-on tugs like you're saying even with a sharp razor for me.

A shavette might be a good back-up or you could get a second straight. I personally like shavettes but they're less forgiving and the technique for using them is a little different. Even though they're less forgiving, I usually have an easier time shaving with one because the blades seem sharper and that helps me.

3. My upper lip has been like this for years now, so it can't be the Proraso (just started using that). I think i think I agree with you on the dryness thing. My lip is was red even when I participated in the no shave November. I just started using a cleanser and moisturizer once in the morning and once at night.

What do you mean by scything cuts? My razor is new and it came shave ready, maybe I just need to do this scything cut.

How is a shavette different? Or at least different from a straight razor?

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Here's a scything cut. Be careful if you try it. If you move the blade a little too sideways, you'll likely slice your skin and not the whiskers.

Most shavettes won't allow you to get the really shallow angle that a straight will. That's one of the biggest differences I think. The sharper blade makes up for that limitation but makes it easier to get irritation or cuts if you use any pressure.

5. The chin seems to be the hardest part to shave (next to the mustache area). Maybe i'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Thanks for the advice!

6. Star

Star Active Member

Corn. Huskers. Lotion.

Try it. If it helps you then you know it's dry skin.

7. Star

Star Active Member

Beware, though, as most people find it's smell akin to that of death.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like you're getting some great advice. I'll just add...

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for the December Newbie Give-Away.

9. I do own some corn huskers lotion. I'll spend this week using it and see how that works out. Thanks!

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have just started shaving with a straight and the chin is, at least for me, still my most challenging area. I anticipate this will become easier with greater experience.

11. my only issue is that i don't know if i'll know when i am doing it right. it seems like my chin is really sensitive. it's been hurting a lot lately...i'm hoping that if i shave once in the morning and once in the evening my chin will get used to being shaved, and i'll get a lot more practice in.

12. Star

Star Active Member

It's what I used when I first started and jacked my face up. Best thing I've found for severe oops.

13. badgingguy

badgingguy New Member

How did the corn huskers work for you? I am having the same problem. I tend to keep some scruff so I know it is not irritation from shaving. ​

14. I have been washing my face everyday and using moisturizer twice a day. It's still a little red, but not as bad.