Rediscovering Mug Lathering

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by 1OldGI, Aug 8, 2009.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I recently received a sample of Wheat Cream Iced Subzero and broke out the long idle lathering mug. Despite starting out lathering in a mug, for several months, I've been exclusively a face latherer. It's convenient works well and I've really grown to love it over the last few months. With creams of course, mug lathering is the prefered method. Then today, I decided to mug lather some TSD Magnolia soap. The warm lather effect was better than I remembered and the lather itself seemed much thicker and more luxurious than face lathering. I think I'll mug lather for a bit now as it was really nice. Tomorrow, I may try mug lathering VDH Glycerin with a few large dashes of Osage Rub. I've also got some TSD Iced Subzero soap on the way. PS: I picked up a nice little lathering bowl at Goodwill for 75 cents.

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I really think Jo's soaps and creams work better with a mug than face lathering. If I do decide to face lather some of her cream, I normally need a little bit more cream in the brush to get it working right.

Can't beat those Goodwill/Dollar Tree mugs, either. ;)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm a mug-man myself. Just seems to work better for me.

4. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I assume that by "mug lathering" you are referring to lathering directly on top of the puck in the mug. The only soap that I do that with is Williams, although these days closer to face lathering with that soap like I do with all soaps. With Williams I'll start the lather in the mug and finish it on my face.

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

No puck of soap in the bowl/mug, I just load up the brush and whip it into the bowl/mug until the desired merangue appears.

6. Compa

Compa Member

I'm still trying to find which one is better for me.
    I really really enjoy the face lathering but the bowl lathering gives me more control over teh applying of the lather (That's what I feel at least)

I'm sticking with face lathering but I am still working on my lather and from time to time practicing with the bowl :)

7. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Don't know if there is a one "best method" for anyone. I mug lathered for a long time then one day I face lathered. Then I stuck with face lathering until fate led me back to mug lathering. I'll probably linger at mug lathering for a while until I begin to miss the minimalist approach of face lathering, then I'll go back. Just another variable to consider and/or play with. It's been my experience that if you over think them all, it stops being fun real fast. Just do what feels good at the moment and experiment occassionally to stave off boredom or satisfy curiousity. At the end of the day we are all in the know on something that the mass of men remain blissfully ignorant to. "Shaving can be fun, in fact it can be a blast, hell, it can even be a hobby!" Have you ever seen the look on the faces of the cartridge and goo masses when you begin to wax philosophic about your fantastic morning shave with an old SE razor and some soap in a mug? I doubt I could get stranger looks if I showed up to work in pasties and a g string :happy102

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Im totally agree with that statement.Would you mind if I copy it and use it as a sig line?:rolleyes:

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Not at all, have at it, I'm flattered at my shot at immortality.

10. Deryan

Deryan New Member

mug man myself..enjoy making the lather :D

11. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

:1respect:
    it seems me that you are saying theese words on my mind.....:eek:

I enjoy my bowl every day.....

12. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Thats real cool 1OldGI. All part of the rich tapestrie of the wet shaving world...:D

13. Soap Guy

Soap Guy New Member

I can see the people I've worked with past giving each other looks and moving away from me if I did that. Followed by lots of whispering about how dementia was setting in! :happy102

I've always face lathered. I guess I do work up a pretty good lather in the mug first but I still tend to go back and forth until I'm happy with what's on my face. I'd never seen all these other techniques until I started browsing the shave forums last year.

14. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

I am a bowl latherer. I bought an inexpensive stainless steel bowl which I submerge in hot water and keep it there while I shower. I load the brush and whip up the lather in the bowl, its warm, convenient, what more can I say.

15. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I'm currently using Williams also. I am completely green to classic shaving and I have only made the switch from goo to actual soaps a couple months ago. Though I just read another forum post that mentioned mixing glycerin with williams (http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15132 post #5). I'm not sure what that does to the soap, but it sparked a few questions in me. What else can you mix with soaps to make them better, oils, fragrences, moistureizers? Also I imagine it's easier to mix in a bowl/mug vs. the face. Maybe exchanging ease of face lathering for a bowl to achieve a perfect person recipe of soap and additives. But like I said, I'm extremely green to all this.

16. selhov

selhov New Member

mug lathering is the best i have alwey,s done it purchesed large mug,s the capochino size at carboot fair,s for around 50p, theas mugs ar so big it gives you loud,s of space to lather you,r soap or cream,and of corse having the handle help,s to hold the mug while you ar whiping up a good creamy lather and if you like add some of you,r favourit colonge or glycerine,or a few drop,s of pure natural oil,s from the health shop what ever work,s for you:D