Regally Rare - Gillette Regent

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GDCarrington, Sep 8, 2013.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One of the razors that I do not see very often on the forums is the Gillette Regent. It is now commonly called the Regent Tech due to the inscription on the case proclaiming it to be a "One Piece Tech Razor" to provide differentiation from early Regent sets. I have been trying for several years to acquire one of these razors and have always been thwarted. Now my search is over and I finally have one and here it is. It is a complete set.​
    As stated in the photo it is the first Gillette TTO with a guard bar and it was produced before the Ranger Tech and Milord series began production and after the Senator and Sheraton OC TTO Series completed production.​
    [​IMG]
    Here is an image with the blade box and razor out of the case.​
    [​IMG]
    Here is a quad image including the case which has seen a lot in seventy plus years but the snap still closes.​
    [​IMG]
    The Regent Tech is differentiated from the later Aristocrat series by the fact that there is no print on the inside of the head and post war Aristocrats had end caps.​
    It took a long time to find one, but here it is at last.​

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Congratulations on a great find, your razor looks awesome..:happy088: And the shaver looks fairly even tempered, so it will probably get along with the others. It can be quite annoying when one razor decides to play alpha and push the other guys around. You get to the bathroom for a shave only to find a fight's broken out.. :duel:

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Like a certain #1 ... ;)

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya that razor was really aggressive...:football:

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Thanks Gary! You didn't need to get me that! ;) Just kidding. :) That's a great set and it looks to be in really good shape too (especially the case). It will make a great addition to your collection of razors!

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Very nice Gary. In the pics, the gaps around the doors look a bit smaller than on the later production razors. Looks very precisely made.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now you got me to wondering if what I have been calling an Aristocrat is really a Regent - no printing inside the head, and no end caps. I'll have to get a pic or two posted and maybe you can help me with an ID?

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, a member of another board found that I had received my Regent with the case reversed. Must have had a hard life and had the case re-glued. Well, I went and opened up the case and found that the center is a wrap around and had only a small amount of glue. A little gentle prying, center reverse, and some fresh glue and it is now case correct.

Here are the photos after I realigned and re-glued the case with some better glue.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photos at the start of the thread have been replaced with corrected photos.​

Doryferon and lradke like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Steve, we look forward to seeing those pictures.

10. swarden43

Here ya go.
    P1010562 (Small).JPG P1010559 (Small).JPG P1010560 (Small).JPG P1010561 (Small).JPG P1010562 (Small).JPG
    Not pretty, but "pretty" doesn't shave the face.
    A little mild, in my opinion, but a decent shaver

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

And Steve's razor looks strikingly similar to the "1941 Aristocrat" I had, which has, if you look under the center bar on Steve's, looks to be a single line of numbers on both sides of the center stem. But no other printing inside the head. No end caps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The 1941 Aristocrat does have writing inside. Steve, is that writing or a small indenture in the base plate on yours?

14. swarden43

A-ha! So, after putting on my glasses, grabbing a magnifying glass, AND getting under some decent lighting...

"PAT NO. ON PACKAGE" right under that center bar. Very light, but there. Good catch, Kevin.

A '41 Aristocrat it must be?

Thanks guys!

They say you got a lot goin' for ya when you get old.
    Your eyesight is going.
    Your hearing is going.
    I forget what that other thing is that's going.
    :D

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

@ GDCarrington
    Congratulations,fantastic razor for your collection.

:signs154:

GDCarrington likes this.