repairing Lady Gillette Advice needed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adam Ludwig, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Adam Ludwig

Adam Ludwig New Member

Hi all,

I have a blue star Lady Gillette from the 60s-70s the knurled screw is incredibly tight and difficult to open. Any advice on freeing it up. I can get it to open to replace the bade but it I'm sure is not functioning as intended. Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Do a hot water soak, it's worked for me, many times. . Here is how to do it.
    In a microwave safe container, I prefer Pyrex. Fill it with enough water to be able to submerge the razor. Next, bring the water to near boil. Add a liberal amount of Palmolive or Dawn dishwashing liquid. I put in around a tablespoon per 2-3 cups water. Use your razor to mix the solution, and let the razor soak until the liquid cools. Approximately 2 hrs. Take the razor out, and work the mechanism. Scrub with an old toothbrush. If it was open when you first soaked, close it. Reheat the original solution in the microwave, until it's about to boil. Soak razor again, for a couple of hours. This should loosen it all up. If needed, repeat a third time. I've never had to do this more than three times.
    Btw, please provide pics of the razor, so we can see that it's not damaged.
    Also, head over to the Welcome Center, and introduce yourself.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011: I would also like to add put a drop or two of mineral oil, 3 in 1 oil, etc. down the opening and bottom after it's dry

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

+1 on DaltonGang's recommendation. Once you get it opening and closing without too much effort, put a few drops of mineral oil down the shaft opening on the head.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Take some pics please, I had a Flare Rocket that was stiff to open and realized the hinge had gotten taped out of alignment, making it rub.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. Adam Ludwig

Adam Ludwig New Member

Thank you all! I was thinking about boiling it, but thought it will merely expand the metal then I would have to wait to see itf it worked once cooled off. Thank you again. I will try tonight when I get back from work as well as go to the welcome center. Adam

Ijustmissedthe50s, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Adam @Adam Ludwig . While you are in the Welcome Center, visit The Newbie Giveaway for a chance at a couple prizes. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Adam Ludwig

Adam Ludwig New Member

Okay, so I did a quick boil to both my Wife's Pink one and my blue one this morning. Worked like a charm for the pink one which was close to unworkable as well. The Blue one needs more attention but it has freed up to the point where it is usable again with some effort. Fantastic! Once I finish doing a combination of all things said here I will update. Thank you again all, outstanding!

RyX, Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Try a little mineral oil (a few drops) down the hole in top and work it. If still stiff, may be mechanical and I'd contact Captain Murphy for very reasonable tune up. I've had him work on three of my razors with great results. One was nearly a total loss.

He tuned up a Blue Lady Gillette for my Daughter In-law
    IMG_8168.jpg IMG_8170.jpg IMG_8169.jpg

ninjack, RyX, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Nice!!

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I took one for the team it was my birth year and quarter razor; now it's being enjoyed by my daughter in-law.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Sara-s likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

What's the latest? Everything work out well?