Replacement Handle for a Merkur 180

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hrolfr, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

Looking for some advice, I love my Merkur 23c/180 long handle razor. I bought it because it seems most advice is that the long handle is more comfortable for folks with "big ole paws" for hands and an easier transition from the longer handle cart razors. Now my issue. Not only do I have paws for hands I am a what other's describe as "big ole boy" and have a short thick neck... ok basically no neck, and a large barrel chest so when I shave my nearly non-existent neck the handle hits my chest before I can complete the stroke at the correct angle. So to the point do any of you know if I can get a Merkur HD handle without buying a new razor or if there is another alternative?

I also really need to get a new pic of my now trimmed and groomed beard as I no longer look like capt’ caveman.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I much prefer shorter razors. As long as it is a 3 piece razor, you can get a new handle for it. A favorite of mine is the Weber Bulldog. It has a nice heft and nice sharp knurling. Another option is the shave craft bulldog. Pretty much the same thing, just a few bucks cheaper. You could also check out the Sabi T-2 from shaveabuck. It is a copy of BRW Bullmastiff.

The Merkur 34 HD is a 2 piece razor. The handle does not separate from the lower piece of the head.

3. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

Yeah I was looking at the HD and saw it was a 2 piece, the 180 is a 3 piece so I will look into the handles you have sugested thanks!!!