Review: Fat Jack's Tash Wax

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Neolithium, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Moustache Wax Review
    Fat Jacks Tash Wax
    Price:
    Not the cheapest yet far from the most expensive. Prices range from £3.75 for a 15ml tin to £14.99 for five 15ml tins, the multiple tin deals allow you to choose between Unscented and Mint in any number of combinations. International postage is an additional £2.00 (Chalk this up to Royal Mail price increases that everyone is dealing with), shipping was within 24 hours for me and took 6 business days from the UK to Alberta, Canada.

Packaging:
    15ml screw top metal tin, shipped with instructions as well as a date the batch was manufactured (Nice feature, this!)

Ingredients:
    Cosmetic Grade Beeswax, White Soft Paraffin BP, Virgin Olive Oil, Emulsifying Agents.
    (Mint Version adds Mentha Piperita for scent)

Scent:
    The wax comes in 2 scents for customers to choose from – Unscented and Mint. Being a classical guy I chose unscented, and while the mint may be something new to enjoy I’m glad I went with this. It’s a very mild scent that is primarily just beeswax but has a floral hint to it as well which is quite welcome – and some people may appreciate the scent not lasting long either, within an hour it was virtually undetectable.

Consistency:
    Quite firm but easy to scrape on the fingertip after a slight 5 minute warming in the pocket.

Applying & Look:
    Application was easy after a slight warming with body heat, and it rolled around the fingers easily to apply to the moustache. Spreading it evenly over my moustache it quickly blended in without any color change or noticeable adding of a shine to the hairs. I had not used a hairdryer at all to help the wax be applied, and despite this faux pas there were no clumps to be found – and I actually tried to find some!

Durability:
    Wax held up very well against natural sweat and ambient humidity from a 10km run this afternoon – something that many waxes would get annihilated by. While I did have to do the occasional reshaping, I didn’t need to reapply any product at all – though given the size of the container it wouldn’t be inconvenient to take it on any type of outing.

Water Solubility:
    Sweat didn’t cause any issues, it had no loss in holding power for my still-yet-to-be-trained moustache but I did need to do a hefty bit of reshaping after the run, the annoying side whiskers that make me look feline came back with a vengeance. While this wax will easily withstand inclement weather such as monsoon season, or moustaches covered in frozen condensation keep in mind it does take some soap and elbow grease to get out in the shower. Is this a bad feature? All depends on the user.

Final Verdict:
    4/5 Handlebars, I will definitely keep this in my shave den as long as they are in business, which I hope will be a very long time.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

awake2shave and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Nice Review.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:pics: of the 'stash

:innocent

lradke likes this.
  4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Now that you have this, I'll bring you up a mug with the moustache guard on it! ;)

5. Neolithium

NO WAY JOSE. Not until it's past the annoying overgrown Tom Selleck size. So....give it a month or two LOL.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hmmm.... wise choice, I"m thinking. :D

OTOH, you could post the pic with you wearing a gaudy Hawaiian shirt with your chest rug hanging out for full effect. (puke)

awake2shave and lradke like this.
  7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Are you going for more of a Wyatt Earp style where you can curl it up on the ends?

8. Neolithium

The goal is more of a Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig style for now.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great review! Thanks :happy088::happy088:
    Save those tins. I use 'em to hold my own 'stache wax creations.