Review: Illinois #127 Strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Neolithium, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Well I figured that I would put this up, I've been getting behind in my reviews lately but this is something I just absolutely had to jump on since it arrived today and I've already used it on 7 razors (3 personal, 4 from friends).

[​IMG]

Price:
    Hard to beat. Most online vendors have them between $30-$50 depending on your location, shipping, etc. I paid $57 for mine shipped from a Canadian vendor, and while this is generally overpriced against US companies I feel it is still worth every cent I paid and would do it again without hesitation.

Size:
    2.5"x23" A quick word on size here (No dirty jokes please), in the past I found that 3" wide strops were ideal for people to learn on however I now retract that statement. One can make x-strokes easily on here and I believe this size would be well suited for both new and experienced users alike.

Materials:
    Top grain leather & Canvas (What is advertised as linen) webbing. The leather itself looks extremely smooth which I was initially hesitant about how it would feel however the first razor that hit the strop quickly killed any notions I had in regards to how much feedback it would give. I'd consider it a medium draw, and in my personal use it would be the ideal amount; other users of course will vary due to preference but I cannot see many users being disappointed here. The leather is also less stiff than my English Bridle Leather strops that I've owned in the past, I was happy about not having to load the baby up with leather conditioner first, I just went to town.

The "linen" while not being top of the line still works very well and is constructed to be reliable for many hours of use, that much is instantly evident. One razor which only needed a stropping (And to be honest I expected to need paste on it) was quickly refreshed with 50 on this, before hitting it on leather for another 50 passes. It's durable and does a great job of mellowing out an edge that is fresh from the hone, or bringing a little more life back into a blade for regular maintenance.

The brass hardware (I doubt its real brass for this price, but it's sturdy to be sure) also allows for a plethora of hanging options, most of the ones in my house didn't require any other work than clipping it on my thinner sized towel rack. People with the full size 2cmx2cm or higher square racks will need to use a zip-tie or some other method unless you've mounted a ring in your shave den. There is also a self-locking nut which allows the easy removal of the leather and linen strops for replacement after many years of use, or even adding additional ones to meet your needs in regards to pastes.

General Notes:
    I will already be ordering another one of these for travel for my deployments and field exercises. The price/performance is just too hard to beat, and while the strop itself is not the same quality one would get from European shops that have hundreds of years of experience with tanning leather, this can easily hold its own in a fight against them. The handle provides a comfortable hold though people with larger hands may have issues and would prefer an Illinois strop with a D-ring instead, only your sandwich clamps would be able to decide on that possible issue.

Final Verdict:
    I have no hesitations giving this 5 moustaches, and would happily recommend it to any single straight razor user on this form.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top hardware​

[​IMG]
    Leather stropping surface​

[​IMG]
    "Linen" (Canvas) stropping surface​

[​IMG]
    Beautiful and comfortable handle

Karl G, gssixgun and macaronus like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great review, Justin. And I like your rating scale ;)

Karl G likes this.
  3. Neolithium

OH! you reminded me, I forgot my patented images!

Karl G likes this.
  4. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

They get better with use too.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I'm leaning heavily toward one of these strops.

Karl G likes this.
  6. Neolithium

I love mine. Completely killed any desire to look at the strops that are in a higher price bracket. Even though Lyn has some amazing looking ones, I just am satisfied with this one in every way.

Karl G likes this.
  7. Rustym

Rustym Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but, Neolithium, how well do you like it now after this length of time? Have you used any dressings on it? Has it held up well? I just had one delivered today so I'll be setting it up this evening and giving it a try. THX!

Karl G likes this.
  8. SaintAccardo

SaintAccardo Member

I don't know what neolithium will say about his strop but I can say with all the confidence in the world that you cannot go wrong with ANY Illinois razor strop. They hold up better than most and I would are on par with the most expensive strops money can buy. Anything beyond an Illinois strop is just want of different looks, handles, different color leathers and variations in draw. But there is quite a large area of variance in draw between an #827 and a #361 so I would think that between these two, everyone would be satisfied with an Illinois.

Karl G likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Still holding up lovely! The draw has settled on medium and I have done nothing to the leather just threw some ChrOx on one side of the canvas. Actually it is still my only strop, though I am shopping around for something a little more elegant and wider just cause I can be lazy and not pay attention to x strokes. I can't see me retiring this one just yet though and the performance is enough I haven't shelled out money on a new one in the last 8 months of shopping lol.

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nicely done!:happy088:

I'd be up for considering one if I hadn't recently picked up it's nearest relative—the Illinois 827 Russian, plus a 2.5" wide horse hide strop over the weekend.
    And I agree with your comments on 3 vs 2.5" strops. I learned on a 3" strop, but find I really do enjoy the angled x-stroke or windshield wiper stroke on the 2.5".

Karl G, 45auto and gssixgun like this.
  11. Rustym

Rustym Member

That's great to hear! I came home and unboxed it and it really is very nice. I have started hand rubbing it on the leather and it feels like a good leather that will break in well. Overall I like the look and feel. I'll rub it for a day or two and then strop my new Razor and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback!

Holyrollah, I nearly went for the 827, but since this is all new to me, I decided on the smooth leather. When I was looking into which one to get I heard a lot of great things about the 827 as we'll.

Karl G likes this.
  12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

How do you like the Russian?

Karl G likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sold it about two years ago. Heavy draw, sturdy.
    Sold it to a TSD member just starting into the realm of straights.

Karl G and 45auto like this.
  14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

What replaced it?

Karl G likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've four main strops I use regularly: a vintage Certifyd 700c 'Red Imp' horsehide, a vintage 'Broke-In' horsehide, Dry Gulch Leatherworks Red Latigo, and a Tony Miller 'Fast Bridle.'

Karl G and 45auto like this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Is the Tony Miller head & shoulders above the horse hide?

Karl G likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Quality-made, excellent strop; "buttery smooth with a velvet-like draw" —different feel than the other strops; personal preference as to which is 'better' as each has a different draw.
    I like having a variety.
    SafariScreenSnapz1026.jpg

George X, Karl G and mrchick like this.