Rex Ambassador DE razor rundown.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Sep 24, 2017.

1. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update John, sounds like good news about he razor. Have a great time on your vacation; I'm jealous.

john zeiger likes this.
  2. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thanks much Bill

3. john zeiger

Bill (william beer), I just got my REX Ambassador and am very excited. My first impressions of the razor are very possitive. The razor looks great. The knurling on the handle is very grippy and from what I can tell they did fix the few little kinks of the first model. The adjustment knob seems to have much more tension in it so that it won't move inadvertently if you put your finger on it while shaving. I put a blade in it and lined up perfectly. I like that the side tabs are completely covered. The razor seems very well made. I have done everything with it but shave with it and am extremely happy. I'll give it my first shave tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

william beer, Linuxguile and jmudrick like this.
  4. william beer

That sounds great John. Looking forward to your remarks. I finally ordered one and it is supposed to ship by the end of the week.

john zeiger likes this.
  5. john zeiger

Congratulations Bill!

william beer likes this.
  6. john zeiger

Bill (william beer) I had my first shave with my new Rex Ambassador (REX) and am very impressed. The first shave was very smooth and efficient. I used some B & M Seville (Glissant formula) soap and an Astra SP blade (my blade of choice with first shaves on razors). The REX clamped the blade in very tightly - no chatter. Not knowing what to expect I set the adjustment dial at 2 for my WTG pass, The pass was very smooth and a lot of audible feedback which I like. Love that the end tabs are covered as I didn't have to worry about my nose or ear lobes. For the second pass (XTG) I moved the adjustment dial to 3 and this pass was equally as smooth as the first. The head on the razor is very low profile compared to most of my other razors (makes getting under the nose a breeze). I left the adjustment at 3 for my ATG pass and again very smooth. Also left the adjustment at 3 for my cleanups and once again very smooth. All in all a very good shave and above all very smooth and comfortable. I was very impressed. I will use again tomorrow and probably go up to the 4 setting, at least for a pass or two. I'm obviously getting used to the razor so I've got to see what my limits are. I am extremely happy with my purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know about the shave.

william beer likes this.
  7. william beer

Hi John, thanks much for the report on your 1st shave with the Rex Ambassador. My favorite soap is B&M Seville and I also use Astra SP blades. I'll be curious if you try other blades to see what you like. I have a large cache of Astra SP blades because I like them in almost every razor I've tried but I'm always willing to try others that might be smoother or more efficient. I used my Aristocrat this morning and got a great 2 pass shave and I've heard that the Ambassador is similar on setting 3 (or was that the Red Tip being similar to the Ambassador on setting 3?). I get amazing shaves from the Red Tip too. It will be interesting to see how the Ambassador compares. Can't wait to get it. My first modern razor since my Dad bought me a Slim way back when.

Hope you have a great vacation.

Bill

john zeiger likes this.
  8. john zeiger

Thank you Bill. I'll let you know when I use other blades as I most certainly will. I feel that the REX will become my daily driver so I'll probably try to sell several of my other razors. I have too many razors anyway. Take care.

9. william beer

Got my Rex Ambassador today. It's perfect in every detail. Will shave with it tomorrow but the first impressions are that the machining and overall finish is superb. I like the heft of it and the handle knurling is awesome and very "grippy". The adjusting ring has enough tactile feel to it that it won't accidentally turn during the shave process. Matt at Razor Emporium really has a winner here.

john zeiger likes this.
  10. john zeiger

Congratulations Bill. Thank you much for your thoughts. I could’not agree with you more. Now wait until you shave with it. I think it’s the best shaver I have shaved with but YMMV - I hope not though. Have a great shave.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Tookus..can we say tookus on the air..oiy..:eek:

12. william beer

Just finished my 1st shave with the Rex Ambassador and it was my closest and smoothest shave yet. BBS, even under my chin where it has be very difficult. A very slight amount of irritation because of sloppy technique - the razor was so smooth that I got reckless. Used setting #3 and found it to be a little more efficient and aggressive compared to my 1953 Gillette Red Tip and my 1946-47 Aristocrat. Haven't shaved with my OneBlade yet or my ATT SE1 but they will be next after I have a few more shaves with the Rex under my belt. Also, I will be using a modifies Gem in the OneBlade V2 and a Kai Captain in the SE1. I used a new Astra SP in the Rex. Had no problems with the adjustment ring moving during the shave.

korbz and john zeiger like this.
  13. john zeiger

Bill, i’m glad to hear you had a shave similar to my several with the Rex. Thank you for the report.

14. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Well, I got my REX Ambassador from a group buy that I participated in last month on another forum. And let me just say that the razor is a real looker. The attention to detail and workmanship is first class from the knurling on the handle to the smooth but firm movement of the adjustment ring. Fit and finish is spot on from top to bottom and it just looks manly. Not too shiny nor to dull, sort of a semi polished (tumbled actually) look to it that would look great on any mans shave den.

I received it yesterday and since I had already shaved in the morning, I had to wait until today to give it its first run. I installed a 4 times used Derby Premium blade that was close to it’s last legs but I just wanted to see how the REX would fair with a used blade. And yes, I went right for the jugular and started at setting 6.

How was my initial shave? Not bad at all to be honest. As stated before, I started at 6 and worked my way down to 4 then 2 for a nice 3 pass shave. Did not get a BBS finish as I had a few stragglers around the neck & throat area, but I attribute that to a blade that was pretty much done honestly. A definite DFS on it’s first outing without a single issue. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. I was expecting to feel a little bit of drag or stickiness that has been reported and experienced by a few, but truthfully I did not experience anything of the kind. Just smooth, effortless and controlled gliding passes. Maybe it was the soap and prep or perhaps the finish on the razor. Who knows but I suffered no ill effects because of the finish or safety bar design/geometry. The feel is substantial with excellent balance from cap to the bottom of the handle with just about the right length to be held comfortably in the hands. I actually lowered the razor into my shave bowl & lather and shaved with it. No slippages of any kind throughout the entire shave. That’s how good the knurling is done on this razor.

It’s the first time with it and I did not attain a BBS shave first time out but, it was a DFS for sure. I don’t fault the razor at all for my results today. I put the blame on me as I knew that the blade was just about toast. Next shave it’s a new blade and it’s on. I’m actually looking forward to shaving with the REX for the rest of the month. Should be some really good shaves ahead......

77ACA768-3756-4346-84C9-2C4459CDB9EB.jpeg
    7CEDE5E2-7D29-4EDB-B268-2569AAC5A12D.jpeg
    2190330A-E4CA-486E-9AD1-D04F3E0B600D.jpeg
    3D304EE5-4CB2-46DF-8BC1-A84F59DEF771.jpeg
    14764B9B-C5EE-4FD9-AF4E-7879E788FD73.jpeg

15. Str8on2

Some more pics and eye candy....

7732DF9C-89C6-4FCB-A6D5-57F4ACF1C143.jpeg
    26036335-7AC4-49C0-A4C8-91FBA4D8E8F3.jpeg
    A7623C36-F44D-4A60-ACC6-346AA63B789A.jpeg
    27C34CA0-CA5A-4947-A99E-CE3711134A26.jpeg
    BA3C48B6-5A38-4580-8010-CF7CECC2B0B8.jpeg

16. john zeiger

Str8on2 Great review and spot on. I too have a REX Ambassador that I've had about a month and its become my favorite razor by far. I get great shaves and love that you can easily adjust on the fly. Also, absolutely no blade chatter. This razor locks the blade down very tight. Just love it.

Linuxguile and Str8on2 like this.
  17. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

It's certainly a very good looking razor!

18. Str8on2

Excellent, excellent shave today. The REX truly shined this morning with a new blade yielding a BBS finish in 2 passes + a chin buff. A smooth and effortless shave that left me ready for a special occasion, my youngest daughter and her graduation into middle school. That’s where the YSL steps in, a true masterpiece if you can find the original formulation. Just an awesome performer especially for that special occasion. Have a great day and shaves Gents... So, back to the shave.

It was a completely different shave from the one yesterday as the blade was truly shot. I installed a new Gillette 7 O’ Clock SP as they are known for great smoothness & decent sharpness. The REX and the Gillette did not disappoint at all. Set at 3 to start and finished at 2 for an amazing shave. Close, smooth and very comfortable. Again, I did not experience any drag or sticky feeling during any of the passes plus the buffing. The adjustment nut never moved especially as my finger rested on it for most of the shave. You would need 2 fingers to turn it, it’s that firm.

Bottom line is the razor delivered an exquisite shave. It’s not uber aggressive as I tried it on 6 yesterday, but it gives adequate blade feel in the upper ranges while still maintaining good smoothness and efficiency. Today with setting 3 & 2 not so much blade feel, but still efficient enough and smooth for my stubble. Good things have been said about the REX since the updates from the original release. I can’t speak for the original but, I can say that the N2 model that I own is one smooth operator.

871BED29-B432-4545-894B-CB61B9285193.jpeg

19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't insult that beautiful razor with a Derby!!!

I'd put a nice new Feather in it and have at it. :)

Oh, great photos too.

20. william beer

Your perspective is the same as mine. Definitely my go-to razor.

Str8on2 and john zeiger like this.