Rockwell - adjustable razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 28, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm pretty sure they will offer nickel as an option. The original chrome plating they offered has to be done over nickel anyways, so they lose nothing by offering it.

Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I asked for confirmation of a nickel finish being available, but it looks like they a holding their cards close to the vest, until they look at DLC (diamond like carbon, black, brushed nickel, cerakote and rhodium platings, and work out costs.

It will probably be several days before we get confirmation of available platings.

Rockwell Razors says:

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for reaching out - we're working hard in the background to get more options an answers confirmed for backers interested in other finishes, but we don't want to confirm or announce anything until we've got confirmation that options are not only possible, but are financially feasible and won't delay the product manufacturing timeline. Thanks again!

Gareth

Jayaruh, 45auto and Robyflexx like this.
  3. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

Great idea...but it's still pretty easy to get a used Slim for a good price.(Got mine for $38.)

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  4. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I backed it, looks like a fun razor.

45auto, Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  5. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

I would have backed this at $79... But not where it's at right now... Just don't have the money and the fact that you get the same for different amounts of money, first time I've seen that on Kickstarter (although I haven't been on there much)

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's typical on many Kickstarter campaigns.
    The Blackland Blackbird Kickstarter operated much the same way. Look up "Loss Leader" for an explanation of the concept.

I believe the final retail price will be above $100, plus shipping, and not include 100 blades, so backers at any price point will be saving some money by not waiting to purchase it retail. On the other hand, they will have to pay up front and wait a year (or more) for the razor.

MattCB, Jayaruh and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. korbz

korbz Active Member

Had to back this. Gareth conducted himself extremely well with the 6S setbacks and hiccups. The 6S is fantastic and the model T has an opportunity to be the first of a new adjustable TTO generation.

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

+1. ^^^^

I think this one seemed odd, because the Super Early and Early slots sold out so crazy fast. It's one thing when you think to yourself that you should have backed this a month ago and saved $20. It's another when you only have a matter of a few hours and they are all gone.

Jayaruh and GMPTA like this.
  9. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I have a Merkur Futur. The internals are brass, not plastic.

ObiDon and Robyflexx like this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Nope, all merkur models are zinc including yours, but if you take 2 minutes of your time to disassemble it after every shave and dry it up and clean it then the zinc should last you at least 10+ years, if you don't you might not pass the 5 year mark

11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Zinc is a silver-white metal. When you alloy it with copper it makes the metal shown here, brass. DSC_1286.JPG

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Kickstarter was first posted as an update on the 6S Kickstarter page, so the early bird rewards were aimed specifically at those who had backed the 6S campaign. First to know and all that.
    It's just the Vision that has plastic internals then. I saw it in the "How it's made video."
    Good point.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Gotcha. That helps explain why I (not an original backer) got the e-mail, and by the time I got there just a couple hours later, the first tier was gone.

14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed is that this razor is adjusted after it is closed. On a Gillette they are adjusted before they are closed.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Good observation Mark! :)

markjnewcomb likes this.
  16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I read somewhere that the Gillette adjustables were able to be adjusted while closed when they first came out. It's later that people suggested adjusting them when opened as to not strain the mechanism.

Drygulch, PLANofMAN and markjnewcomb like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm apparently old school as I never bother about opening up the doors when adjusting one. :)
    I also believe I read a post somewhere that there was no real correlation between the internals and the doors being closed when adjusting the razor.
    Maybe it's just one of those urban legends that spread...or maybe there is something to it, not sure.

markjnewcomb, Jayaruh and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Those damn urbans!!! Always creating legends!

PLANofMAN, markjnewcomb and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They are two different mechanisms that work independently of each other. You can close the doors and do the additional 1/4 turn to lock it and the adjuster works fine.

markjnewcomb, Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

go ask freely Merkur if that part is brass...... it isn't and what makes you sure that is not brass/copper plating only or look alike in that color? ask them and you will see that the body structure of all merkurs inside and out is zinc

PLANofMAN likes this.